Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 showing offline after power outage. Have to unplug router and Base Station to power back on?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Stetlaw
Aspirant
Aspirant

After a power outage, my Arlo Pro 2 cameras show up as offline in the app. The only way to get them back online is to unplug the router and base station for a few minutes and then power them back on. Then the cameras show as online again. Since the cameras are at a remote cabin, I have automated this procedure with a timer that turns off the power to the router and base station every day for about 5 minutes (1:00 am - 1:05 am). So, in a worst case scenario (a power outage at 1:06 am), my cameras are offline for about 24 hours. Why won't the Arlo base station automatically find the cameras after a power outage without being rebooted? Is this common across all Arlo base stations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stetlaw wrote:
Why won't the Arlo base station automatically find the cameras after a power outage without being rebooted? Is this common across all Arlo base stations?

Mine usually will, but this is a problem commonly reported here.  I suspect that a short power glitch might be sometimes be the cause - something not long enough to actually get the base to restart, but enough to create a crash of some kind.

@Stetlaw wrote:
I have automated this procedure with a timer that turns off the power to the router and base station every day for about 5 minutes (1:00 am - 1:05 am). So, in a worst case scenario (a power outage at 1:06 am), my cameras are offline for about 24 hours. 

You could purchase a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for the base and router (and modem if you have one).  If they are close together, then one UPS can be used for both.  Protecting all this will keep your internet up through fairly short outages.  You could also just connect the UPS to the base - your internet will of course go down when the power fails, but the base would stay up. 

Either way connect the timer between the UPS and the base, so you'll still have the reboot.

Another option is to get an iOT timer (Wemo or equivalent).  Then you can power-cycle the base remotely if you want to.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stetlaw wrote:
Why won't the Arlo base station automatically find the cameras after a power outage without being rebooted? Is this common across all Arlo base stations?

Mine usually will, but this is a problem commonly reported here.  I suspect that a short power glitch might be sometimes be the cause - something not long enough to actually get the base to restart, but enough to create a crash of some kind.

@Stetlaw wrote:
I have automated this procedure with a timer that turns off the power to the router and base station every day for about 5 minutes (1:00 am - 1:05 am). So, in a worst case scenario (a power outage at 1:06 am), my cameras are offline for about 24 hours. 

You could purchase a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for the base and router (and modem if you have one).  If they are close together, then one UPS can be used for both.  Protecting all this will keep your internet up through fairly short outages.  You could also just connect the UPS to the base - your internet will of course go down when the power fails, but the base would stay up. 

Either way connect the timer between the UPS and the base, so you'll still have the reboot.

Another option is to get an iOT timer (Wemo or equivalent).  Then you can power-cycle the base remotely if you want to.

Stetlaw
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB - Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try the UPS, and maybe throw in a WeMo as well. That should give me some flexibility. I hate to have the system down for extended periods. I haven't verified it myself, but I saw another user post that you can remotely reboot the base station from your account at my.arlo.com. That might be an option for me until I get the new hardware setup. Thanks
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stetlaw wrote:
I haven't verified it myself, but I saw another user post that you can remotely reboot the base station from your account at my.arlo.com. 

You can restart the base from the app or the web browser.

So that is an option if the base is up, but the cameras aren't connected.  But if the base is offline, you can't restart it (since the Arlo Cloud can't reach it).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation