Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Which Arlo supports 4G LTE connectivity? Would it be possible for Pro 2?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
svKuleana
Aspirant
Aspirant

Which Arlo supports 4G LTE connectivity? I would like to have a security camera that stores and forwards via 4G LTE on the IoT. Arlo Pro 2's used to could do it (with a MR1100-100NAS) but "improved" firmware seems to have removed that feature. Would it be possible to revert the Pro 2's firmware to re-enable the feature?

I need a answer in the next two weeks as I'll be sending the Arlo back to Amazon if it doesn't suit my need and in its current firmware, it doesn't.

Thanks,

Wm

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@svKuleana wrote:

Which Arlo supports 4G LTE connectivity?

The only camera with built-in LTE is the Arlo Go.

Other cameras either

• connect to a base station, which is then connected with ethernet to a router.  
  • connect to wifi

These other cameras should connect to mobile broadband (if you can get that).  I have successfully connected a base to T-mobile broadband.  But if you are using a base station, you need an LTE router that has ethernet out.

The Pro 2 cameras do need a base station.

svKuleana
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Pro 2 used to have IoT functionality via the Nighthawk M1100 4G LTE router acting as its base station. I had a Nighthawk and a 100GB/month connection to the Internet via 5G/4G LTE. The connection is not always stable (sailboats go to sea). I was hoping for a way to store and forward video and to set up surveillance on a per "marina" basis.

As currently designed, Arlo are "cloud crippled" and do not seem very capable of making good use of metered or intermittent connections. It isn't a camera limitation, it is a software limitation. They are designed with always on WiFi as a transport. No worries, I have abandoned thoughts of using an Arlo and have returned both it and the M1100 as unsuitable for the monitoring system for a boat that doesn't stay in port. I think that these were made for homes and for barns. Not for mobility.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation