Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just did a direct swap from Pro to Pro 2, setup position identical BUT night time a disaster can barely see anything.

Turned brightness up and down - no effect.

Then on front camera turned off night vision - awesome miles better than Pro 1.

Then rear camera, tried turning off night vision disaster all black.

Is there something different in night mode Pro 1 vs Pro 2.
110 REPLIES 110
MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Note there is ZERO response from the company about this issue in a meaningful way despite numerous posts on this issue. Sad sad.
Apprentice
Apprentice

NG doesn't respect you that's why they don't feel the need to respond. If they do anything its gonna be because its at their own pace and when they feel it will harm them. Case in point is the AC adaptor. Lots of people complained about noises when charging and sizzling smoking connections. Only when it was obvious that NG could be legally liable did they acknowledge the problem. Even then it was only just some obscure acknowledgement, asking customers to stop using them with no remedy or refund offered. Only when pushed on a refund they did NG even bother to issue a recall. IMO

Only with leverage will you get an equitable solution IMO. File a BBB complaint and get your money back if you feel cheated.

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here I guess I am goign to have to take this back as the ARlo Pro 2 is useless at night, and really not that much better during the day. I wanted to add another camera up front and I wanted a higher resolution camera in my back yard as I get various critters wandering through and I hoped to get a better video.  So I put the new ARLO Pro 2 out back and moved the ARLO Pro to the front.  I can't see anythgin with the ARLO Pro 2.  Last night something went by but all I could see was two red eyes.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Yes the night vision on the Arlo Pro 2 is terrible I have it over my garage I bought a wide-angle IR illuminator which helps a lot it's either that or I leave the spotlight on all night. I wonder if they're working on at fix. Or maybe they can't fix it
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are not alone! Netgear has been informed numerous times by their "Valued-Customers" about "Poor" night vision with the Arlo pro 2 series. Unfortunately their customer service response has been unacceptably non-existent. They know its a design-flaw in their product, but refuse to respond to their "customers" who in good-faith purchased a Netgear product, with the expectation that it "works" as advertised!!

They could at least respond with.... We are looking into this issue, and will have a firmware update shortly. We thank you for your patience, and apologize for any inconvenience......

Maybe as their customers, we are expecting too much! Meh!

RVP
Star
Star

For me, Night Vision works better without having it on.Without NV - OFFWithout NV - OFFWith NV - OnWith NV - On

Apprentice
Apprentice

With the AP1 I experience the same as you. Turned NV off and rely on external (non NG) permanent lighting along with turning up brightness on the cam to 100% at night. I works far better than the crappy NV. I think the issue in my case aside from the weak a NV tech nin the AP1 is it bounces off a wall as well. If you have an open filed of view it tends to work better. 

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary
Just got 3 of the P2s... same terrible night vision. I actually moved them indoors and the P1s out... this is absurd... I think it's a design problem. If you look at the front of both there's a slight design difference where the IRs are... maybe it's enough to distort their ability, I'm not sure.

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary
P1 vs p2
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary
P1
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep.... its the same crap night time image that I get with my P2 !!!

Why doesn't Arlo customer service respond??

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
They'll never admit anything is broken
Samson39
Aspirant
Aspirant

Possible hardware fault? IR LED may be flare at the sensor inside the device. 

May  be they forget something at manufacturing.. 

I hope, "german" devices does not have  this issue...

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello? Customer support??? Where are you? Enjoying the cash from all the customers you sold Arlo Pro 2s to?
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I will say that re-positioning the camera made it a bit better.  I originally had it under the eve of my shop and it caught the side of the shop plus the side of the house.  So I moved it out from under so it does not reflect off any walls and now the night vision is closer to the ARLO Pro, but still not quite as good.  I just added an IR light today and I am going to see how that works.

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here are some comaprisons

First is with a Arlo Pro, no IR light other than the camera's.  The position for the next two is slightly different.  The Arlo Pro was under the eve of the shop the Arlo Pro 2 has been moved out from under and on the side.

Second is the Arlo Pro 2 with an external IR source

Third is Arlo Pro2 no external IR source

arlopro.jpgArlopro2 IR.jpgarlopro2.jpg

Apprentice
Apprentice

#3 is unacceptable in terms of clarity. Quality is not incline with a $200 plus cam IMO.

Arlosupport
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish I had seen this thread before buying two Arlo Pro 2s. I am pretty happy with the NV on the Arlo Pro but can’t see anything with the Arlo Pro 2. And daytime resolution doesn’t seem much better either.

MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am with you!!! Had I known how bad the night vision is with the Arlo Pro 2, I would never have purchased this "flawed" product! And what makes matters even worse, Netgear doesn't even care... If they did, they would respond to those who have asked about this problem in their flawed product, and come up with solutions!! 

Maybe we should create a viral campaign about how bad it is?? hmmm....

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

absolutely!  I'm not quite sure that the purpose of customer service is?  We have been complaining that they are selling a defective product for nearly 4 months now.  Obviously stores have return policies which mandate people return their Arlo Pro 2 in less time than that.  And yet customer service continues to just state "they're working on it".  ???

This is obsurd.  Maybe the folks at Nest would like to use this in their marketing campaign.

MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

......Good point!!! Nest would love to take advantage of this!!! Thanks!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
They will never admit anything is broken
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Nest has its own flaws to deal with, along with no free cloud or local storage available. Each brand has its pros and cons......don’t be naive.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not sure if naïveté is the issue here. What’s the use of local/cloud storage of a video which is so dark that you can’t see anything.
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

...........Perhaps "naive" is a little "short-sighted"? No free cloud or local storage are peripheral extras.

The "thread" is discussing the core product (camera's night time IR) not functioning as it should. What has peripheral extras have to do with a flawed core product dysfunction?