Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 - Night Vision Alerting not working

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
jakeman35
Tutor
Tutor

Alerts during the night are either not working or working only if there is substantial horizontal movement. I have large LED night light (solar energy powered) pointing on bird feeder stand structure with 2 large bird feeders. Adult racoon comes every night, claims the stand, wraps around the feeders, performs balancing act on the top of stand, etc without tripping Arlo 2 Pro alert. Quality of picture is OK thanks to LED light being turned on all night. LED light is $20 item that has a motion detection working perfectly while Arlo 2 Pro alert is just not working for this type of situation. Otherwise alert is working fine during the day on this camera and sometime it goes off at sunsets or when lighting conditions change suddenly. 

There are posts re: night vision not working, I just want to clarify night vision on my camera is OK (due to additional LED light). Is is alerts not working during the night for vertical movements.

6 REPLIES 6
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Pro 2 uses a PIR (passive IR) sensor to detect motion.  PIR sensors are more sensitive to horizontal motion.  They have a number of vertical zones and look for something moving across the zones. This is how PIR sensors work and is not Arlo specific.

You could try moving the camera closer.  I guess you could also install a second camera, rotated 90 degrees, and use it to trigger your existing camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, what's the distance and what sensitivity level in your modes/rules? A racoon, even if large, isn't the same size as a person so the distance may be an issue as well as sensitivity. 

jakeman35
Tutor
Tutor

I thought about installing the second camera just to try, but it is not a long term solution. I guess if there is an option to rotate the image 90 degrees I could mount camera horizontally. I am affraid they do not offer this feature at this time.

jakeman35
Tutor
Tutor

The camera is 9.5 feet from the bird feeders and it is set to 100% (the highest sensitivity). 

jakeman35
Tutor
Tutor

Attached is the pictire of racoon I recorded manually.

1523093589636_Moment.jpg
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jakeman35,

Have you tried moving the camera to a different location to see if you get better results?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation