Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pre-purchase questions - Need constant video recording

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
cattlekid
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good day all,

I am new to the home security world and am shopping around for a solution for my home.  

The situation that I am working with is that I live on a corner and I have issues with individuals driving through my fence and leaving the scene of the accident.  I would like to have constant video recording of the corner.  The street and corner are approximately 50-75 feet away from my garage where I would install the camera.  We have no outdoor electrical outlets so the solution would have to be battery powered.  

I've been Googling around and it looks like the Arlo Pro 2 would fit the bill for what I am looking for.  Any caveats I should watch out for that would make this solution not recommended for my application?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
fishferbrains
Star
Star

A few considerations:

• The Arlo Pro 2 must be on AC power in order to use the 3-second look-back feature that records the event that triggered recording.  I live on a quiet street and prior to AC powering my Pro 2,  I would get a notification and a video showing no activity because the car passed in those 3 seconds.
  • If you're hoping to take advantage of IR night vision, your distance is a bit far.  Most say it's good to 20-30ft max, but depending on your street lighting conditions it may not be a concern.

Good luck in your decision!

cattlekid
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the info! No hope of AC power but there is a streetlight on the corner so the IR should be okay. I might have to look for a different solution if the Arlo Pro2 requires AC
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cattlekid wrote:

I would like to have constant video recording of the corner. 

Constant video recording also requires AC power (and I don't know of any CVR solution from any manufacturer that works on battery-power only).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation