Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Power options, Features,and placement ???

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

I have a few questions on best power option on this camera and outside placement..

as far as battery life, I am seeing alot of posts recently about batteries only lasting a few days? That obviously is not ideal, is this for most or just random incidents? And what could be causing that issue for some?

How is the solar option as far as charging? issues? I have not seen good reviews for the ARLO brand solar board?

and how does the solar option perform in the cold north(ohio)?

And is running power to it from  an outlet the best choice??

As far as placement, I have 2 options and looking for best one.... I can mount to deattached garage which is about 40 feet feom back of my house. So i would be pointing it towards back of house where my patio is, or mount to the back of the house pointing down towards my patio and backyard ?

I have a motion flood light attached to garage so will this cause any issues with camera function??

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

IMO, running from an ac outlet if possible is the best option... with the Pro2 cameras you pick up the 3 second look back feature whinc is alone worth it.

As to flood light, if they go on it may trigger the camera to record, but this is really what you want...and if powered it doesn't matter if it come on a few extra times. As long as the light doesn't shine directly into lens it shold be ok.

As to cold, the battery will not charge if the camera is below 32F... it protect the battery from damage. Not much to be done with this. I recommend if in a cold climate to have a couple extra batteries to swap out in the winter if needed ( which shuldn't be an issue if powered anyway )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

@TomMac wrote:

IMO, running from an ac outlet if possible is the best option... with the Pro2 cameras you pick up the 3 second look back feature whinc is alone worth it.

As to flood light, if they go on it may trigger the camera to record, but this is really what you want...and if powered it doesn't matter if it come on a few extra times. As long as the light doesn't shine directly into lens it shold be ok.

As to cold, the battery will not charge if the camera is below 32F... it protect the battery from damage. Not much to be done with this. I recommend if in a cold climate to have a couple extra batteries to swap out in the winter if needed ( which shuldn't be an issue if powered anyway )

OK, I am thinking im going to mount to the garage as it will be alot easier to power it. I can drill a hole into garage right by the outlet. If i mount to the house and need power i will have to call an electrician and cut into walls for power.  So if i do that, how long is the power cord? I am not sure how much i need just yet but if i need more whats my options? thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

before you do anything, I recommend a temp mounting ( use 3M no damage strips or similar ) to see how the camera woks in that postion...

the external cable that will come out early June is Arlo Ultra 25 ft. Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable (VMA5600C)

( indoor cable is 8 ft out may 8 )

As to electrician , that is based on your skill level...

Morse is faster than texting!
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

@TomMac wrote:

before you do anything, I recommend a temp mounting ( use 3M no damage strips or similar ) to see how the camera woks in that postion...

the external cable that will come out early June is Arlo Ultra 25 ft. Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable (VMA5600C)

( indoor cable is 8 ft out may 8 )

As to electrician , that is based on your skill level...

When you say how it works in that position, are you referring to in relation to the motion lights?

is there any other cable that will work? I dont think i need 25 feet of cable, if i mount on the garage where i think i want to mount it, i will probably only need 10-12 feet of cable.

and like i said , as far as an electrician, i am capable of plugging it into an oulet..lol

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation