Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Possible that Arlo Charging Station charges sequentially? Attempting to charge 2 batteries at once?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
szee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a Pro/Pro2 charging station (VMA4400C) and I'm hoping to resolve some issues before my 30-day Amazon return window closes. 

Experiment 1:

I took 2 batteries at ~60% charge and placed both in the charging station (Port 1 and 2) and both amber lights turned on (thumbs up!).  A little over an hour later one charge indicator turns green and I remove that battery (Port 1) and verify 100% charge by inserting it into a backup camera and checking (thumbs up!).  Now I wait for the 2nd battery to charge (Port 2)... another hour+ goes by and still no green light.  I remove the battery and put it in the other charging port (Port 1)... still no green light.  I take the first battery that charged to 100% and reinsert into the charging station and it quickly flashes to green in both ports.  I take the 2nd battery that supposedly didn't fully charge and put it in the camera and check for battery level... it says 100%... huh?  Does the charging station not recognize the 2nd battery as fully charged?  Is it still actively trying to charge it (amber) even though it is "100%" charged?

Experiment 2:

I run two completely different batteries down to 50% and place them both in the charging station.  Again, after ~1.5 hrs, one of the batteries turns green (Port 1) and I verify it's at 100%.  This time I take the 2nd "amber" battery (Port 2) and check the charge level in a camera and its only at 60% charge.  I re-insert the battery into Port 2 and this time it turns green after a little over an hour.  Verified 100% in camera

Experiment 3:

My last unique battery from a recently purchased security light came with zero charge.  I plug that into Port 2 by itself and it charges completely (lost track of time but it took more than 1 hr but less than 3 hrs).

Is it possible that the charging station charges sequentially?  Does attempting to charge two batteries at once slow total charging time vs charging a single battery?  If this were true I would have expected charging to be equally split between the batteries and both to light up green at approximately the same time since both batteries were at typically the same charge level.   Please don't tell me to open a case, cause response from Arlo support is non-existent.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like it was still charging...

As to reading 100% in the camera,... when charged IN the camera it only gets 80% charge BUT will read 100%.

In the charge tube, the batteries get a true 100%....just that the gauge will read 100% for a longer time ( 20% more life )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
szee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, that's what I thought might have happened with my first Experiment... possibly pulled the battery too early, but has anyone seen similar results with charging 1 battery vs 2 batteries? 

I've seen plenty of Amazon posts where people claim that the station is a piece of crap, only charges one battery, battery spring breakage, battery does not seated properly, etc.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've charged 2 batteries at once many times with no issues. I suspect that the batteries each charge slower since the single 2A power supply has to devote equal amounts of current to both batteries. In any event, when one battery displays green (charged), I remove it to try to help the other one go faster although if the battery is charged I would think little, if any, current is being diverted to it.

I would try to test again to see if it's always the same side of the charger that's causing this. If so, I would swap with Amazon since it would seem to be an issue with the charger.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation