Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Xnavyman17
Guide
Guide

My dog was caught on my backyard camera's but wasn't on my backdoor camera which it had to come out of that door 1st. I DO have animal selected on my notifications for both camera's. How did this happen?

10 REPLIES 10
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Xnavyman17

Have you tried to remove the camera from settings > My devices > Re-Add it. Make sure when doing this to add the camera back in to your rules.

Xnavyman17
Guide
Guide
Ok I will try this. Thank you!
Nondescript
Tutor
Tutor
I am having similar missed events. Sometimes a particular camera will catch the arrival of a person or vehicle but completely miss their departure - sometimes the opposite. Each camera has similar behavior with sensitivity set at 100% each. Was going to start my own thread but this seems like an appropriate place to pile on. Any other experiences like this and/or potential solutions?
Nondescript
Tutor
Tutor

Adding to my previous message: now I may have caught a related phenomenon. A few minutes ago, my library of videos showed a contractor driving out of my driveway and away from my property - I assumed I missed his arrival. Now, that video is not in my library, but I DO have a video of his arrival and his brief activity. It's as if my library is culling or filtering my videos even though I have never set any filters.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Nondescript

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

Nondescript
Tutor
Tutor
Beyond trying various sensitivities and observing which events recorded and which ones didn't in various lighting conditions, I haven't tried any troubleshooting for this issue. I don't see any patterns or consistency with the missed activity.

I do think I have observed that motion-activated clips aren't recorded if they are interrupted by live viewing a camera. Can you confirm that?

I know there is a sensitivity test I can perform with the camera, but since it didnt appear to be a sensitivity issue (records on occasion with minimal activity) I haven't attempted this.

What else would you recommend?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Nondescript

You can try and reboot the cameras, or remove them from Settings > My Devices > Re-Add them.

gduck24
Guide
Guide

Same thing here, but maybe some more information.  I have a usb plugged in.  What seems like a possibility for me atleast is I have overlapping cameras, so maybe the server cant handle multiple events or uploads.  I will check again tonight, but the usb is catching all the action, but all the videos are not uploading.  Very frustrating that I get a notification from my smartthings that a door opens, like my garage, and I see my daughter pull in the driveway and get out, then the recording stops while she is in motion getting out of the vehicle(different unresolved issue), and the garage camera doesnt even record.  Hoping that the usb caught it all but ever since the last timezone firmware screwup my cameras are completely unreliable.  These cameras suck now.   Support is non existent. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@gduck24

Have you tried to remove the camera from Settings > My Devices > Re-Add it?

gduck24
Guide
Guide

Yes.  I am very savvy with tech.  This has never helped, yet it is the standard reply by support and very frustrating to have to reset cameras all over the place. 

I did find that if I set the manual record to the max time, then go back and set it to record until motion stops that the videos have since then been more complete, with less stopping in the middle of motion.  Not sure why that is, but some other thread mentioned those settings being somewhat related so this seems to have fixed that.  

The issue with completely missing action is inexcusable.  My daughter came home and was picked up by the driveway camera and garage camera, but when she left, neither of these cameras caught her.  I pulled the usb and it matches the server online, so my theory of it recording to the usb and not uploading was proven wrong this time, although it has happened before.  How much does this actually happen?  One time is too many times.  This camera system is not consitent enough to warrant the price and subscription.   

It would be immensely helpful to have system logs or something that we could determine if the base, or cameras or some part of the system was going offline, or not functioning so we could get to the bottom of this. 

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation