Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Priestid
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ive had 2 of these plain jane arlos for 2-3 years and the arlo pro 2 is about 6 months old. They have worked perfectly all this time. Then this week the night vision has become so pixelated and grainy that they are pretty much useless. Nothing on my end has changed. Same spot, no skins, daytime works good. Ive tried resetting, new batteries, etc. but i really believe this is a firmware issue. Can i somehow go back to the previous firmware? Or how do i get arlo to fix this issue?
13 REPLIES 13
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have noticed the very same thing except it changed for me weeks ago. Bought back in Aug. of this year, the night vision was great for the first few months. But a some point it all went to hell. Two of the four cameras have very poor night vision. Nothing was altered or changed on my end, cameras in the same location, yet the night vision is terrible now. I so wish I never invested in this brand.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you verified that night vision is enabled for each camera's settings? If set, try toggling it off and back on. Verify that the dull red IR LEDs actually light up in darkness (take the cameras into a dark room and trigger a recording). Make sure the camera face is clear and clean.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi @jguerdat

“ the night vision was great for the first few months. But at some point it all went to hell. Two of the four cameras have very poor night vision. Nothing was altered or changed on my end, “

So ya, the night vision was enabled. I am somewhat tech savvy.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Reallyconfused

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Priestid
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not yet, I'm still trying to figure it out. It's very frustrating and at this point I am leaning towards a different brand. I loved the arlo, but I need something that is reliable, the way it used to be. The fact that nothing had changed on my end and night vision declined all of a sudden makes me feel the problem is with the arlo firmware. Also very frustrating that I can't talk to a live person at Arlo. Right now I'm trying out a Swann camera and I can call them if I need assistance, so nice!
Hennaen
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is becouse of the new app for sure. I was running the old and new app simultaneously for a short period, and on the old app the night vision was good. On the new app the night vision was bad with pulsating big pixels. It still is.

Try running the live view through your web browser on the computer and it should look good also.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Leeboy
Star
Star

Mine started doing the exact same thing but do it day and night . As soon as you zoom ( at the tiniest amount ) it goes into these large block pixelated images that are in a 1 to 2 second loop trying to focus . Pretty much useless to identify someone more than 10 feet away . All 3 camera doing it . Had 2 for a year , installed the 3rd and it immediately started doing the same as the other 2 . The alerts work well and instant but the picture quality , live or recorded is garbage . 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Leeboy

Do you have any screenshots you can provide of this picture quality issue?

Priestid
Aspirant
Aspirant
I sure wish i had thought about doing a screen shot, great idea. I am very happy to report that out of the blue it started working again. I am so happy to have all my arlos up and running with clear night vision. Clueless as to why it stopped working or why it started Working again. I have 3 new arlos that i was going to return to Costco but feel now i can go ahead and install them without any further problems.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

That is unfortunate, but great news. Please let me know if you have any further questions & I will be here to assist you. 

Leeboy
Star
Star
Hi Shayne, so this screen shot is taken from about 22 feet away , and I zoomed in using the arlo app. I tried a shot from my old iPad ( 6 years old) from about 30 feet away inside the window of my house and I can zoom in pretty much crystal clear . I know They are two different devices , I just wanted to try that experiment.

https://ibb.co/MZSR7gS
https://ibb.co/K7qW325
jcy110
Aspirant
Aspirant

What probably is happening is the IR LED's are burning out.  If that is the case the only thing you can do is purchase a 3rd party IR ILLUMINATOR which should solve the problem. They are cheap but it needs to be connected to 120v so its another corded installation.......look at the face of the camera on a very dark night and you will see the DULL RED IR LEDS in a "circular pattern", if you see large black areas then the IR LED's are dying. I found this-

Like the Arlo Pro, the Pro 2 has eight night-vision infrared LEDs that surround the lens. Sep 23, 2019
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation