Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Tomich1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought I read that it’s now possible to access my USB storage (currently plugged into the hub) directly from the Arlo app.   Or am I wrong?   Not finding how to do this. 

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It’s on the android  app for the smart hub...don’t think iOS yet

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Tomich1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I have the Arlo app installed on my iPhone and iPad.   Most current version.  I’m still not seeing a way to access the files on that device.  Just cloud recordings. 

Tomich1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I misread your answer.  Android only.  Got it. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

VMC4030P is the Pro 2 camera, shipped originally with the VMB4000 hub.

My Pro 2 hub shows no indication that I can access USB storage from the Arlo app.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Access only for the Smart Hub ( 5000 ) at this time with Ultra ( tmk )

Morse is faster than texting!
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@TomMac wrote:

Access only for the Smart Hub ( 5000 ) at this time with Ultra ( tmk )

Also VMB4540 on the Pro 3.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

One of the app Release Notes said USB storage was only available for VMB4500/VMB4540/VMB5000 I believe. No reason they can't make the Pro and Pro2 bases have USB access...

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mamarcac wrote:

No reason they can't make the Pro and Pro2 bases have USB access...

That's a bold statement. What information do you have to support that idea?

There are serious differences between the old base station and the new hubs.

Just another user
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@michaelkenward 

"That's a bold statement. What information do you have to support that idea?"

What information do you have to support that they can't?

See I can be snarky and unhelpful too.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mamarcac wrote:

What information do you have to support that they can't?

Just experience with three or four different Arlo hubs and base stations along with a bit of understanding of computer hardware, programming and the idea of "forward compatibility".

@mamarcac wrote:

See I can be snarky and unhelpful too.

What's snarky about asking for evidence to support a bold statement?

I'd be seriously interested in knowing if this really is something that Arlo could do.

Do you write software for network and IoT devices?

Just another user
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@michaelkenward I actually am an engineer and have been a senior member on XDA for years assisting developers so yes I do have a clue what this would take. This is not rocket science - you can do this with TightVNC on your own network with an attached USB device if you want. It's just creating a secure access path for the USB storage device housed on a private network. Absolutely possible.

This is one of the easier fixes that Arlo could do, and it takes no special base-station horsepower (CPU etc.) to implement. The question is whether Arlo wants to add features to older devices which it doesn't appear like they do so far.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

If true that suggests that it is one of those things that get shunted aside because updating old hardware generates no money, unless it persuades people to sign up for a paid subscription. Access to local storage does quite the opposite.

Someone has to pay for it, but I somehow doubt that existing owners would be prepared to part with cash. Once they have bought something they expect to have free lifetime support and access to an ever growing roster of new features. Try asking your car maker to replace your engine with this year's model.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation