Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Moxymann
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am replacing my arlo pro cameras with new arlo pro 2 cams. wired and 1080. But the nivht vision is extremely poor compared to the arlo pros.

I used to be able to see my whole yard and even into the street with the pro in night vision. Now I can barley see 2 feet in front of the pro 2 camera. Does this sound right? Or could I have a pair of bad cameras?

If I turn the brightness up it just washes out the picture. I’m hopeing this is just some setting that can be tweeted or a firmware update issue. Any help would be great.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 ups the game by introducing 1080p resolution, a wider field of view compared to previous generation cameras, along with a host of new features that include versatile power options, 2-way audio, and advanced motion detection with activity zones.  All of the above is done while maintaining the things our users love and have become synonymous with Arlo:  Simple wire-free setup, Weather-resistant ruggedness, Optional 24/7 continuous video monitoring, local backup storage, and up to 7 days of free cloud storage.  Not to mention, Pro2 is backwards compatible with all previous generation accessories and base stations. 

The same applies at night time, where in each frame, a user can literally see more in every shot.  By upgrading our image technology, we also upgraded our motion and night vision capabilities.

Some users have requested that we increase the overall “brightness” of our cameras.  While seeing brighter, albeit subjective, is a valid request - simply making images brighter may not always apply to the scene that is being recorded.  Every user’s setup is different, as well as the type of scene and image being captured.  One fix for all situations can often result in tradeoffs in other aspects of the image quality.  As an example, simply going brighter can result in oversaturated images dependent on the user’s scene.

What we did focus on addressing however, was overall image quality during high motion.  Especially in security driven use cases where the action being captured could be a vandal at your front door trying to run away, we wanted to enhance the overall quality in those situations.  Over the weekend, we released a FW update that reduces the amount of compression when fast motion is detected.  This results in better quality videos, with minimal change in overall file size being allocated to capture that motion event. 

Arlo aims to up the game in image quality with each new generation of product, and we know our users will enjoy literally seeing more in every shot, seeing more details, as well as crisper video even in fast motion scenes. 

-Arlo Development Team

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Moxymann
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here is the back yard with the arlo pro. Totally fine in night vision.
Moxymann
Aspirant
Aspirant
And here is the arlo pro 2 in basicly the same spot, same lighting. You can’t see the yard al all.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

one thing I've noted about the PRO2 is that it seems more susceptible  to wash out IF the IR illumination is reflected off of another object... it makes the iris change due to the reflection.

It may be the IRs are wider or shaped lighting slighty diff from the Pros... So try and eliminate reflection from walls , etc and the night vision will be better

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

The night vision on the Arlo Pro 2 is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than the original Arlo Pro cameras no matter how you place them or position them. I placed the Arlo Pro 2 on the same exact mounts as my original Arlo Pro's and no matter what it was washed out and grainy. This was the case on 2 seperate 2 pack Arlo Pro 2 kits. So the chances that 4 cameras were all "bad" is not likely. HOPEFULLY a firmware update can correct this.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is a night shot of the back yard, very grainy and washed out, cant really tell any details of the things back there. The arlo pro 1 was the complete opposite of this clarity. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated the feedback on this topic to the product management team. The engineering team is currently investigating the concerns being discussed here and I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

We keep hearing that copy paste response = we don't care.

For what it's worth if you turn off night vision all is fine better than the Pro 1, but major but it assumes you have sufficient street or exterior lighting if not it's just pure black. So the night vision maybe the issue.

Moxymann
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried that after reading your other post..  didn’t work for me.

meier3283
Guide
Guide

Hey guys, same issue here, but the crappy thing is, it began after I first put up the camera.  These videos are from the same camera, different days.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/2F0C3897B92FE7DD_201710
https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/DCE55EE9253A8FFA_201710

I'll be opening up a ticket for this one, to go along with my other issue of motion detection being wacky.

If I turn off IR, check out the ghost car behind me, and the ghost stop sign right over the front of the actual car. 

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/58E8F2E57ECCB2DD_201710

Tom06
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don’t think it’s true that Netgear “doesn’t care.” After all, a good product with satisfied customers is good for business and increases earnings. . I think the issue right now is they aren’t sure how to fix the problem.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am working with the engineering team to collect information on this issue. They have requested we try a couple different things to see if you experience any different behavior:

-Try another pro 2 camera in the same location.
-Try the pro 2 camera in a different location without any adjacent walls/ceiling near the camera.

-If you have a skin on the camera, try with and without the skin.

Please let us know the results and if possible provide screenshots.

Thank you,

JamesC  

meier3283
Guide
Guide

The main difference between when Mine was working, and when it became hazy, is the addition of a skin.  I'll get up there today and take it off and report back tomorrow.

Moxymann
Aspirant
Aspirant

James... I’ve already provided that to you.  I have 4 pro 2 cameras.  I tried each one in the same spot.  No difference.  None have any skins.  It’s near no walls.  There is also several other threads of people saying the same thing.

There is no issue with the arlo pro in the same spot.  So clearly this is a hardware/software issue.

meier3283
Guide
Guide

Taking off the skin has, for now, removed the hazy night vision issue.  I'll cut off the "hood" from these skins, put them back up on the wall outside, and see how it goes from there.  Clearly, that's not the fix for everyone, so I hope improvements can still be made in the firmware.  Now on to the motion detection issue....

MAS1212345
Aspirant
Aspirant
I thought it was my camera but I have 5 Arlo Pros that work perfectly and now I put up one pro 2 and it's washed out. Great during day. What stinks is it was 200 bucks and now I have to replace it with another Arlo Pro another 150 bucks. I'm very dissappointed
arochest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed 4 Arlo PRO 2 units - to replace my aging Logitech outdoor cameras that I've had for years. Although the day vision is quite good and exceeds the Logitech's video, the NIGHT VISION is terrible; grey and washed out, barely visible. The Logitech night vision was far superior!!

I' not using any skins and the cameras are mounted so that there aren't any reflections to cause issues. It would be great to see a response from Netgear on a fix for this, otherwise they're going back in the box and will advise Best Buy and Amazon of this issue.

Disappointing in a product that looked to be quite promising ...

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

Take a look at my view last night through the camera.... This is what Netgear considers "NIGHT VISION", it was raining last night but that isnt an excuse as my driveway arlo pro 2 did not look this bad last night, and through hail sleet and snow my Arlo Pro 1 never looked like this.... its sad...

My night vision view last nightMy night vision view last night

MAS1212345
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here is pro2 in location
MAS1212345
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here is pro exact same location
MikeMcQ1
Guide
Guide

I've installed 3 new Arlo Pro 2 cameras and have extremly poor night vision on all three as well. Resembles the posted screen shots in this thread--terribly washed out. I can't compare it to a previous model since this is the first.  No windows or reflections in any of the three cameras. I'll try to upload some shots tonight.

It looks like the Arlo Pro had good night vision. Is there anyone with an Arlo Pro 2 that can show us a good night vision shot?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

I doubt anyone believe the copy/paste fob off.

1st - its the same promise some two months on, for this and many other issues on this forum.

2nd - To say the end user setup identical to the Pro 1 is the issue, is a cop out, it is the Pro 2 issue.

Its like saying i bought a bed and position perfect in my bedroom, i then bought the same bed (better springs) and now i cannot put it in the same place ???

rickv9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just reenforcing a lot of the previous submissions. I am extremely disappointed in the quality (or lack thereof) of all 4 of my Pro 2 cameras. My neighbor across the street has the xFinity video system installed and his "night-vision" is almost as clear as normal daylight. My night vision is blury and even at a distance of 10 feet from the camera, the individual video image would not be useable for any type of law enforcement. I have had this Pro2 system for less than a month, and am considering taking it back to Best Buy for a full refund. What are your engineers doing about this? I have seen multiple posts from Netgear saying the engineers are working on it,  B U T   how long has this been going on?  Another three weeks and the entire Pro2 system is going to be returned due to dissatisfaction. 

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
They are waiting until you/we are out of our returns period then tough. We then get the Pro 3 spin.
Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation