Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night vision Quality Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Moxymann
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am replacing my arlo pro cameras with new arlo pro 2 cams. wired and 1080. But the nivht vision is extremely poor compared to the arlo pros.

I used to be able to see my whole yard and even into the street with the pro in night vision. Now I can barley see 2 feet in front of the pro 2 camera. Does this sound right? Or could I have a pair of bad cameras?

If I turn the brightness up it just washes out the picture. I’m hopeing this is just some setting that can be tweeted or a firmware update issue. Any help would be great.
31 REPLIES 31
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Night vision on the Arlo Pro 2 is absolutely terrible. It's not worth purchasing just stick with Arlo Pro
rickv9
Aspirant
Aspirant

It has been almost a full onth since you post stating that this is being looked into. BUT nothing et ? Seems like the maintenance crew is on vacation in Florida ?   How about some answers as to what has been done so far to correct this night vision problem, or I will be taking the entire $1,200.00 system back to Best Buy for a full refund and signig up for the xFinity system, which I know works (I've seen my neighbors cameras at night, and they are almost as good as the daytime monitoring videos).

rickv9
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. Try another pro 2 camera in the same location. ALL 4 OF MY PRO 2 CAMERAS HAVE THE SAME POOOR QUALITY
 2. Try the pro 2 camera in a different location without any adjacent walls/ceiling near the camera. NO WALLS OR CEILING ON THE SIDES OF MY HOUSE OR THE OUTSIDE OF MY GARAGE

-If you have a skin on the camera, try with and without the skin.  NO SKINS AT ALL.

What else do you suggest to prevent me from returning within my 30 return from Best Buy ?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I tried that already it's still very dark compared to Arlo Pro
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Wonder why (surely knowing about this problem) they released AP2. It looks as if it is the beginning of the product beta testing. Certainly rushed and pushed out to market way too early. Arlo engineers can’t possibly (shouldn’t) deny awareness of this and other reported problems. As usual on to newer stuff as quickly as possible, let’s go and try out the security light next.

NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

An easy solution would be to get an IR LED camera (you can get more as well) - they are around $10-15 and will help with the Nightvision. 

You also want to make sure that nothing is too close to the camera that can be messing with the IR - things like concrete.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 ups the game by introducing 1080p resolution, a wider field of view compared to previous generation cameras, along with a host of new features that include versatile power options, 2-way audio, and advanced motion detection with activity zones.  All of the above is done while maintaining the things our users love and have become synonymous with Arlo:  Simple wire-free setup, Weather-resistant ruggedness, Optional 24/7 continuous video monitoring, local backup storage, and up to 7 days of free cloud storage.  Not to mention, Pro2 is backwards compatible with all previous generation accessories and base stations. 

The same applies at night time, where in each frame, a user can literally see more in every shot.  By upgrading our image technology, we also upgraded our motion and night vision capabilities.

Some users have requested that we increase the overall “brightness” of our cameras.  While seeing brighter, albeit subjective, is a valid request - simply making images brighter may not always apply to the scene that is being recorded.  Every user’s setup is different, as well as the type of scene and image being captured.  One fix for all situations can often result in tradeoffs in other aspects of the image quality.  As an example, simply going brighter can result in oversaturated images dependent on the user’s scene.

What we did focus on addressing however, was overall image quality during high motion.  Especially in security driven use cases where the action being captured could be a vandal at your front door trying to run away, we wanted to enhance the overall quality in those situations.  Over the weekend, we released a FW update that reduces the amount of compression when fast motion is detected.  This results in better quality videos, with minimal change in overall file size being allocated to capture that motion event. 

Arlo aims to up the game in image quality with each new generation of product, and we know our users will enjoy literally seeing more in every shot, seeing more details, as well as crisper video even in fast motion scenes. 

-Arlo Development Team

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation