Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Piano-Man
Star
Star
I read an article on the website this morning stating that Arlo are now a separate company from Netgear and there is a new Arlo app, which we must install otherwise we lose access to the Arlo system after the 30th September. The new app apparently launched on 26th August, or thereabouts. I only just bought and set up the system. My Arlo app, from Google Play store (UK) and developed by Netgear, says the app version is from 27th June, predating the new app launch - but there is no other app available in the Google store... Should there be a new app in the UK?
189 REPLIES 189
catlady5882
Star
Star

Downloaded the new app that was required but now cameras are not working at all.

catlady5882
Star
Star

I downloaded new app but now all cameras aren't working at all.

catlady5882
Star
Star

I downloaded new app thry play store which it says you can. then I uninstalled old app. Now all cameras are not working. only work if viewing live. Wont trigger motion sencors or record. 

catlady5882
Star
Star

It stated you can download new app thru google play store on Android devices. I did that but now all my cameras arent working at all.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice
Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

You may have to reset your base station and let them all reconnect, even if you have to manually reset each one. It should work just fine. I didn't have to, but just a thought. I'm no expert.

catlady5882
Star
Star

I did do that but not working.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you clearing notifications on your phone? If not, just because you view them, the number on your app won't go away. When you clear notifications, the number will go away whether you delete the video clips or not. Hope that  helps.

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

@Pokiemom wrote:

Are you clearing notifications on your phone? If not, just because you view them, the number on your app won't go away. When you clear notifications, the number will go away whether you delete the video clips or not. Hope that  helps.

That's not true.  Everything was working fine with the previous app.  I just checked, and clearing notifications has no effect on the "unread" counter on the app icon.  The only thing that will make it go away is by clicking on the Library tab in the app--but the next time motion is triggered, the counter will balloon up to include ALL the clips for the week again.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

I only have experience on my Android phone, and my remarks are based on my own experience. I am NOT an expert, just trying to help problem solve.  All I can add is to go to the app on your phone, go to settings, and see if you're overlooking something particular to your own phone. Sorry, that is the extent of my knowledge.

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

@Pokiemom wrote:

I only have experience on my Android phone, and my remarks are based on my own experience. I am NOT an expert, just trying to help problem solve.  All I can add is to go to the app on your phone, go to settings, and see if you're overlooking something particular to your own phone. Sorry, that is the extent of my knowledge.

I appreciate the attempt at help.  However, I'm using a different phone (iPhone) with a different operating system (iOS12).  I can assure you that your suggestions for clearing notifications do not work in my case.

nonoboy311
Aspirant
Aspirant
the new update doesnt work for ios 13. customer service stated that. it only takes one person to get burglarized or brutally attacked or killed because the arlo didnt give a warning which could bring this company to its knees
Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

From what I'm reading all over the place, the iOS update is known to have issues, and Arlo is working to fix them before the Legacy app no longer functions.  Hang in there. I believe in the product.

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't care to debate, but this statement is unfair.  We are, as individuals, responsible for our own personal safety and well-being.  The world is much too litigation happy these days.  I believe the issues will be corrected soon.  No system is perfect.  Motion sensor operated security lights, trimming shrubs away from entrances, etc. are all good deterrents. And potential bad actors won't know you're having software issues, so the visible cameras help.  No, it's not ideal, and I share your frustration because I had issues for a few days due to my own limited understanding of the process of updating the app, and of course I felt vulnerable, but I was able to reach out and resolve it. Try a little patience.   

cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice
Have you read and understood the terms and conditions when you created an Arlo account?
Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

20 years law office experience,  not debating, nor responding further.

cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sorry, my comment was directed toward the person that posted:

the new update doesnt work for ios 13. customer service stated that. it only takes one person to get burglarized or brutally attacked or killed because the arlo didnt give a warning which could bring this company to its knees”
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@krypttic wrote:

@Pokiemom wrote:

I appreciate the attempt at help.  However, I'm using a different phone (iPhone) with a different operating system (iOS12).  I can assure you that your suggestions for clearing notifications do not work in my case.

Correct.  You should not have to clear notifications on iOS.  I can’t speak for Android.  I’m running iOS 12.4.1 and Arlo app version 2.8.  The new video count clears when I view the library and the count stays cleared.  However, I also did not download the update to the legacy app.  I still have version 2.7.14 of the old app loaded.  With that app loaded and in the same app folder on my iOS screen, I see the count of new videos doubled until I view the library on the new app and I still see the actual count of the (previously) new images on the old app and at the group level until I open the old app and also open the library in the old app.

Are you possibly seeing the unread count at a group or folder level due to having the old version of the app still on your phone and perhaps in the same app folder?  

Those are my only two thoughts..,the folder level count due to the old app still being around or perhaps the new version of the legacy app behaving differently than 2.7.14.  Other than that, I have no clue why you would experience this and I don’t.  I am traveling and have not touched any of my Arlo base stations or cameras and I have not even power cycled the base stations remotely.  I just installed the new app and accepted all of the prompts for location and notifications, etc.  Then I had a heck of a time setting my Geofencing back up on 12 Geofencing devices, but after that, all devices show the proper status.  I have not been home yet to see if they Geofencing status adjusts properly when I’m home.  However, the new video count does reset properly for me.

You could try deleting the new Arlo app (and the Arlo Legacy app, if you downloaded that version) from your phone and reinstalling the new app.  This can also involve force closing the app and power cycling your mobile device after deleting and before reinstalling...and possibly even making changes to the iCloud storage setting for the Arlo app to make sure no old data is persistent in iCloud between the deletion and reloading of the app.  That’s a little more work.  I’ve gone though these steps when trying to fix some previous problems, but I didn’t do any of that when I installed version 2.8 on iOS 12.4.1.

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

@AncientGeek wrote:

@krypttic wrote:

@Pokiemom wrote:

Correct.  You should not have to clear notifications on iOS.  I can’t speak for Android.  I’m running iOS 12.4.1 and Arlo app version 2.8.  The new video count clears when I view the library and the count stays cleared.  However, I also did not download the update to the legacy app.  I still have version 2.7.14 of the old app loaded.  With that app loaded and in the same app folder on my iOS screen, I see the count of new videos doubled until I view the library on the new app and I still see the actual count of the (previously) new images on the old app and at the group level until I open the old app and also open the library in the old app.

Are you possibly seeing the unread count at a group or folder level due to having the old version of the app still on your phone and perhaps in the same app folder?  

Those are my only two thoughts..,the folder level count due to the old app still being around or perhaps the new version of the legacy app behaving differently than 2.7.14.  Other than that, I have no clue why you would experience this and I don’t.  I am traveling and have not touched any of my Arlo base stations or cameras and I have not even power cycled the base stations remotely.  I just installed the new app and accepted all of the prompts for location and notifications, etc.  Then I had a heck of a time setting my Geofencing back up on 12 Geofencing devices, but after that, all devices show the proper status.  I have not been home yet to see if they Geofencing status adjusts properly when I’m home.  However, the new video count does reset properly for me.

You could try deleting the new Arlo app (and the Arlo Legacy app, if you downloaded that version) from your phone and reinstalling the new app.  This can also involve force closing the app and power cycling your mobile device after deleting and before reinstalling...and possibly even making changes to the iCloud storage setting for the Arlo app to make sure no old data is persistent in iCloud between the deletion and reloading of the app.  That’s a little more work.  I’ve gone though these steps when trying to fix some previous problems, but I didn’t do any of that when I installed version 2.8 on iOS 12.4.1.

Yeah, I deleted the Legacy app the same day I downloaded the new Arlo app (per their instructions).  I guess I should try deleting and reinstalling the Arlo app to see if that fixes the rolling notifications?  Will I lose any settings or anything if I do this, or are all of the rules, etc. stored on the base station?

Australien
Luminary
Luminary
I think this will only work for US customers. Outside US they are not reliable regarding claims as a result from a crappy system update.
ethanwebby
Initiate
Initiate
If you hate the company so much then don’t buy into it or switch.
Bullcity
Aspirant
Aspirant

Reviews of the new app are pretty bad.  I'd prefer to wait until the bugs are fixed before installing it.  So, I’d like to ask if the legacy app will indeed be inoperable after September 30.  I understand it will no longer be supported.  

erob111
Guide
Guide

Why so much whining?  I've experienced no interruption of service.  Have you?  I just came to find out what the deal is with the legacy app, and can't believe how many whining "adults" there are.  I found my answer, I'm satisfied, I'm moving on with life and not crying about it.  Try it sometime!  Or maybe practice sitting on your hands.

erob111
Guide
Guide

I have no problem with this and it makes sense.  I'm blown away by how many eeeejits are crying about it like their lives depend on the app functioning.  I've had zero disruption of service, I get why it's occuring, and I look forward to my phone automatically downloading the new app with zero issues.  Calm down people.  Your misplaced anger about a security camera system is quite amuzing.  (by amuzing I mean infantile).  

Australien
Luminary
Luminary
Good for you if it works for you. For many others it doesn’t! If you’re fine why commenting on others people problems or are you just trolling around here mate?