Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Stevieg123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Arloiens.

I purchased the Arlo Pro 2 5-pack at Costco on Black Friday ($699). 

The Alro base connects just fine to my existing Asus AC series router (ethernet connection into the back). But - NONE of the cameras will sync to the base and never have.  I've tried ALL of the suggested troubleshooting steps multiple times with no luck. 

I am beginning to think "it's not you it's me"...as in it's probably my router.

I have a semi-advanced internet topology in my home.  Meaning - I have a 16-port switch attached to Port 1 on back of the Asus router AND I am using Eero mesh-network access points (3 of them - 1 on each home level) for the WiFi connectivity.  These are connected via ethernet runs to each floor; The WiFi on the router is turned off.  The Arlo base isn't connected to the switch.  it's connected to port 2 on the back of the Asus.

So.  I could really use some advice here.  I've seen mention of others with Asus router issues but most couldn't get the base to connect.  My base connects great (first 2 LEDs are solid green) but no cameras work (tried 5 out of 5).  I saw one guy recommend attaching another router to Port 2 on the back of my router and then plugging the Arlo into that...hmmmm...I guess I could try that...I do have an old router here somewhere in my "technology graveyard"...??

See attached photo.  Yes - I've made sure the camera 1-2 feet away from the base.  

And - just for grins - I called Arlo Support and explained all of this.  The girl asked me if I had put the batteries into the camera correctly...seriously?...after I just explained the whole "slow flashing blue light ending with a fast blinking amber LED" thing on the camera?  Sheesh.  She told me to return it but I really think it's my side causing the issue - ??  So I got nowhere with them effectively.

Thanks all!  STEVEArlo base with camera Dec 2018Arlo base with camera Dec 2018

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The way the base functions is that it sets up its OWN WIFI network  ( just for the cameras ) on 2.4ghz.

Look at the base lights from left , the first is power and then internet, both should be green before syncing cameras

Make sure you are doing a QUICK press on the base sync button and then the camera.

BTW, it may be interference , and possibly the port... so you really loose nothing by changing the ports and or plugginh into the switch ...should work both ways

Ports on the router must be open ..ports 443 and 80... if not ( tho usu are )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Be sure that the base is claimed first and then sync the cameras.

Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve been having the same issue and I couldn’t resolve it..
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And what have you tried? What are the LEDs on the base showing? We need a lot of details.

Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
I’m familiar with the system. and how it works. I’ve spent multiple hours with tech support trouble shooting many different ways and I’ve had the issue on 3 different sets already....I suspect it has to do with my WiFi
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Are you setting this up through an App/Web? I prefer App but it should work either way.. Just make sure that you're on the same network if using a Wifi or switch if there's any config that needs to get the connection thru.. If you're able to setup your Base, try and update it first by bypassing the syncing on your cams and go directly to Settings and you should see an update for your Base.. then when done updating.. Reboot/Restart Base and redo the syncing again for your cams.. See if that helps.. 

Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
So I just got off the phone with a level 2 tech and we trouble shooted some more.. he says that many times other wireless devices can interfere such as printers speakers etc.. we tried unplugging everything and it didn’t work.. I took the cameras to a friends house about 5 min away and we were able to sync all the cameras offline to the base and I’m heading back home now to set it up on my network.. thanx for your input.. hope this thread helps someone else who might have this issue
Stevieg123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Ike123 - thanks for jumping in here on my thread and confirming some of my suspicions.  I believe my network set-up is what's causing the issue and you just blew me away with the suggestion to go set-up the base and cameras on a different network altogether and then bring them back in-house.  Did that actually work??  Very cool if so.  I guess it sorta makes sense as the first responder above says the base/cameras set-up their own 2.4GHz network.  

If this doesn't work for me...how did you get over to Tier 2 support at ARLO?  I really do not want to deal with the main line support if I can help it - too basic in their t-shooting steps.  

BTW - for what it's worth - my attached photo to this thread clearly shows that the base is working properly (2 green solid LEDs) and I've added it to my app as previously mentioned.  So base is fine - it's the cameras that won't sync.  None of them.  5 out of 5.  They can't all be bad.  Gotta be me...

Stevieg123
Aspirant
Aspirant

One quick addition to my issue that needs reiterating I think - I've turned OFF my Asus AC3200 router's WiFi capability as I have a mesh network solution (via Eero but it's similar to Netgear's ORBI or Luma or any # of available options these days).  Anyone think that might cause an issue during initial set-up of the cameras?  The base is - as discussed - connected via Ethernet and works A-OK....or seems to so far.  I'm beginning to think perhaps the lack of "initial wifi" signal through the Asus router might cause the base to think there isn't any wifi at all?  Hmmmmmm...

Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
Stevieg123,

I guess due to the history of my case they were able to see I purchased 15 camera and 3 bases and it still wasn’t working... I had called in multiple times and spent hrs with them trying to figure it out.... that’s When they moved the status of my case to a higher priority which requires a “level 2 tech rep” which they set an appointment up for him to call me a few hrs later. One thing forsure - he was definitely much more knowledgeable than the regular tech support reps that you call who run you through the basic trouble shooting steps..

I’m not to sure about the mesh System I don’t have one but I do recall the rep asking me if I did.. so I’m assuming that it would be one of the trouble shooting stages.. In any case yes it worked for me!! I synced all cameras OFFLINE at another location ( about 5 min drive away) went back home and set up the cameras and updated base and cameras on my network and everything is working just fine. The level 2 tech rep explained that many times many things can interfer and prevent the cameras from communicating to the base during the initial sync. Once the cameras are synced the cameras are forever communicating with the base and these interferences don’t cause any issues. ( time will tell.. I hope they don’t anyways)
The last thing we did before I left to another location was turned off all printers, speakers, the modem and router no internet.... everything was off and we tried to sync OFFLINE and it didn’t work... he then told me it could be an interference from neighbors..

I’d tell you to take it a few min down the road to a different location and try to sync each cam..

side note: my base always connected to my network i just wasn’t able to connect the cams to the base, (seems like you have the same sinario) and oddly enough he had me first press the sync button on the cameras- wait 5 flashes of blue light and then press the sync button on the base for 2 sec ( opposite of what every other rep advised) hope this helps u..
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation