Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Dale2925
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two cameras, one on the front door and one on the back.  My base is about in the middle of my farily small home.  So both camera are within about 25-50ft of the base.  

Lately I'm get a lot of "This Arlo device is offline" on both cameras.  It will do this for hours and then my batteries run down quickly.  I think because the cameras are looking for a signal? 

I didn't used to have this problem, but the last few months have been trying my patients with these cameras.  I love them when they work,  but now do to this problem the battery life is really short!

I used to get on my "band wagon" and really tell my friends how much I liked this system and talk them up!.  Unfortunatly I can't do that anymore.  Been disappointed in their performance for a few months now.  (They are just about 1 year old)

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@Dale2925

There are so many things that could have changed since you first set up your system such as the neighbor buying a powerful wifi set up that is interferring wth your setup or new appliances, etc. Hou many bars are the cameras showing? Temporarily, can you move the cameras closer to the base station and see if that improves the situation? If so that is a problem that can be fairly easily solved.

Brian

Dale2925
Aspirant
Aspirant

@brh wrote:

@Dale2925

There are so many things that could have changed since you first set up your system such as the neighbor buying a powerful wifi set up that is interferring wth your setup or new appliances, etc. Hou many bars are the cameras showing? Temporarily, can you move the cameras closer to the base station and see if that improves the situation? If so that is a problem that can be fairly easily solved.

Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian.  Last night I brought both camera inside the house and charged them on the kitchen counter.  I unplugged the chargers this morning and checked several times from work on my phone.  Most of the time they said not online. But a couple times they were onliine, however I didn't recall looking at the signal bars.  When I got home both cameras were already at about 75% battery left.  I'll leave them inside the house again tomorrow and check the signal bars.  Of course when they are off line I can't check the bars. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  🙂 

brh
Master
Master

@Dale2925

I believe that there are a number of people having this problem. Could be the latest firmware. Try moving the base station as far away from your router as the cable will allow, then try the cameras in the same room. If that works then gradually move them further away from the base until they start acting up.

The solution I was talking about, (if it is not a firmware problem), would be purchase more base stations and use wifi extenders or a mesh wifi system to keep the cameras as close to the base stations as possible thus keeping a high signal strength for each camera. You can have as many base stations as you need without changing your subscription, but since each base must plug into a router/satellite/wifi extender with a physical ethernet cable there is that extra expense.

Brian

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dale2925 wrote:

I have two cameras, one on the front door and one on the back.  My base is about in the middle of my farily small home.  So both camera are within about 25-50ft of the base.  

Lately I'm get a lot of "This Arlo device is offline" on both cameras.  It will do this for hours and then my batteries run down quickly.  I think because the cameras are looking for a signal? 

I didn't used to have this problem, but the last few months have been trying my patients with these cameras.  I love them when they work,  but now do to this problem the battery life is really short!

I used to get on my "band wagon" and really tell my friends how much I liked this system and talk them up!.  Unfortunatly I can't do that anymore.  Been disappointed in their performance for a few months now.  (They are just about 1 year old)

Hi Dale2925,

What Type of device are you viewing from when you get the Errors/Device Offline Message? Are you using IOS, Android, Browser?

Dale2925
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using iOS on my iphone and Google Chrome on my PC

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Dale2925,

See if you can bring these closer to the Base Station and monitor the Signal Displayed, that would help eliminate some kind of new interference issue within the environment.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation