Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I posted the original question regarding the broken November 21 update to the app. The ironic thing is my thread was marked solved by someone else, so apparently we can't reply to the thread anymore.

However my issue actually is not solved, as I still have no access to "Mode." So I felt like I needed to post this, so that it doesn't get forgotten and Arlo to think everything is all fixed for everyone.

I did see that jaw5279 posted on page 18 of the long thread that they contacted Arlo support about the Mode issue.  Jaw5279, thank you for taking the time to contact Arlo support and sharing your update. I certainly hope that it is the case that they work to fix it in the next day or so...

I will note that the November 27th update did fix my issues with not receiving notifications. They seem to be coming through okay. But I'm not sure if the disappearing videos issue has been fixed, as it seems that issue is intermittent....

21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I strongly suggest that you always open a case with support rather than relying on someone else to do it. The metrics count - more complaints raise awareness.

I don't recall the specifics of your issue - care to repost what you've tried, what you see, error messages? 

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

jguerdat,  thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Actually I belive that I was one of the first people to report this to Arlo customer support, as I had the pleasure of spending two hours on the phone with them the midnight before Thanksgiving. Consistent with my past experience, they had no clue what I was talking about. I had one of the first postings on this forum regarding the broken 11/21 update to share information with others and encourage others to post and call customer service as well.  It seems that unless we post on this forum, our complaints and issues are lost in customer service.  They typically tell me that I am the only one with the problem, even after I tell them that the problem has been discussed repeatedly and by many customers on their own forum.

Again, as I noted in my initial posting here, I just don't want my issues to be forgotten so that's why I reposted. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Zzzzzzzzzz

What Device/Model/OS Arlo Mobile App version are you using?

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS wrote:

@Zzzzzzzzzz

ShayneS,

Thank you for following up!  I am on a Samsung Note 4, running Android 6.0.1.

I am also having weird issues with my Arlo Q's. The weirdest was a video that disappeared after I watched it on Nov 26.  I saw it on my Note 4, and then immediately after I viewed the video, it disappeared from my Library when I tried to view it again.  Then I went to my Samsung Tablet (still running the Oct Arlo app update).  The video was still in that Library.  But the same thing happened.  After I viewed it on my Samsung tablet, the video disappeared. I just checked on my laptop logging onto arlo, and the video is not there either. The other videos around the same time did not disappear. This has never occured previously, and it hasn't occured again.  But I haven't been actively trying to replicate that.  

I have another Arlo Q that is now just constantly triggering and recording when there is no movement at all.  I am positive that there is no movement because it's an indoor camera, so no trees etc.  

Unlike the Mode Arlo app issue immediately after the Nov 21 app update, for these Arlo Q issues, I am not entirely sure if they are related to the Nov 21 app update.  I just never noticed these isses before the Nov 21 update. 

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the cause or have of others having similar issues.

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't speak for disappearing videos (have you tried a browser, too?) but I would power cycle the Q that's triggering all the time.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

Jguerdat, thank you for the suggestion. That Arlo Q (and most of my Qs) are power cycled almost daily. The other odd thing that I noticed is often times the video length is 1 minute and 4 seconds for the videos where nothing is moving. Kind of a strange recording random time to keep reoccurrung.....

Regarding the disappearing video, I checked on a laptop , and it already permanently disappeared by then. Disconcerting because what if that had been the video I needed to identify someone trying to break in...?

dasochor
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera at first sent me notifications and then the videos in the library.  Now it sends notifications but the videos are not showing up.  No videos in the library on the web app or on my android.

ShaneLee
Luminary
Luminary

I've had this problem many times with various cameras in my system. I have to remove them and re-add them. Good luck getting to those cameras you've put out of reach. It's a royal pain to have to get out a ladder every time this happens. I've also had the opposite happen. Videos, but no push notification. 

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS wrote:

@Zzzzzzzzzz

Hi ShayneS,

I saw that there was an Arlo app update on Dec 6, so I updated my app. Unfortunately, I am still unable to access any of my cameras (Q and Pro2) in Mode. 

Can you please provide an update on how the efforts to fix are going?

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Oters are saying that not having the phone permission set for the app in your phone settings causes this. Enable ALL permissions.

jaw5279
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat,

Why in the world would I want to give the Arlo app full permissions to my phone.  First of all, I do not use notifications that involve my phone (text).  Also, given the track record of issues with the app, I do not want to grant the app any more than absolutely necessary.  Who knows what havoc the next release might cause.  I already reported to support that this is an issue and they issued a trouble ticket and admitted that this was an issue.  Are you now saying that they have reversed their position and consider this a "dead" issue?  Do you have some information the rest of us don't or are you just stating your opinion?  

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@jaw5279 wrote:

jguerdat,

Why in the world would I want to give the Arlo app full permissions to my phone.  First of all, I do not use notifications that involve my phone (text).  Also, given the track record of issues with the app, I do not want to grant the app any more than absolutely necessary.  Who knows what havoc the next release might cause.  I already reported to support that this is an issue and they issued a trouble ticket and admitted that this was an issue.  Are you now saying that they have reversed their position and consider this a "dead" issue?  Do you have some information the rest of us don't or are you just stating your opinion?  

Jaw5279,

Agreed! Information/permissions are on a need to know basis.

The arlo app on my cell phone has no permissions, and the app was functioning fine until the Nov 21 update when the app started explicitly asking for phone permissions. There is absolutely no reason for the arlo app to be able to take control of my phone and start making calls. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There sure is - e911 calls. Hey, if you want things to work you need to allow them to work. I don't know why phone permissions are needed for anything other than e911 but it is what it is. Maybe that will change back over time but ya gotta let things work.

jaw5279
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat,

Thanks for the feedback but I am still going to have to disagree with you.  The e911 feature only works if you elect to obtain and pay for the Arlo Smart package, which I do not.  Again, why would I want to be forced to give additional access to my phone unecessarily.  Arlo/Netgear needs to fix their broken app.....soon. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or enable the permission so the feature works. Your choice - no one is forcing you.

jaw5279
Tutor
Tutor

The fact remains, I shouldn't have to choose.  They need to fix their app.  

Thanks.  

tsha695
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I am having the same issue, now my videos don't show up in the app or online.  if I take the USB device and plug into my PC they videos are listed 

Maverickbobcat
Tutor
Tutor

This seems to be a continual problem.  Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.  The last two days I receive notifications on my phone of a new video / alert and then I log in and no video.  Please help, the is frustrating that it is unresolved.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While there have been cases like this, sometimes it's just a delay before they show up in the library while other times a filter has been set in the library so not all cameras are shown. Make sure the funnel icon at the top of the library is empty, not filled in.

Maverickbobcat
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for your response.  Where do I find the funnel?  I looked online on my laptop and on my iphone while in the library.  I do not see a funnel 😞

Maverickbobcat
Tutor
Tutor

I did some research on what the "funnel" is and I don't have a funnel icon.  Where the funnel icon is, show Filter in Green.  I checked and I have no filters set.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation