Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jshan
Guide
Guide

I was very excited to receive my Arlo Pro 2 package approx 3wks ago.  Since then the excitement has been replaced with disappointment and frustration. 

Problem:

Every day between approx 10am-4pm (eastern), during days where the Sun is out- I receive multiple false notifiactions, ranging from minute to minute to a few mins apart. The camera is positioned on our back screened in porch, facing the "south".  There are no trees or other locations which would work to re-locate it, if I were to move it the range would be to far from the base station and it would also prevent the camera to pick up the views which would be beneficial.  Aka it would be useless.

Attempts to trouble shoot:

1. Powered-down, restarted, re-synced cameras etc, re-installed app, still got false notifactions.

2. Swapped camera with the one in the front(faces the North) and I still receive the false notifications.

3. Called Arlo help #, created a ticket, ran through the trouble-shooting guide, was a complete waste of an hr+ of time.

4. Exchanged the Arlo Pro 2 camera with a new package, set it up today and still receive the false notifications.

Your help would be GREATLY appreciated, I have searched this site and have found similar posts, but nothing that provides a resolutuion to my issue.  I think my situation maybe slightly unique in that our house faces the north and therefore the camera in our backyard (facing the south) will always have a abundance of sunlight on days the sun is out-which is also most days.  This is my last attempt to keep these cameras but time is running out for my return of these and full refund.

I know this is an "Arlo" site, so if its allowed I'd love to of course here remedies to this issue, but also open to recommendations for other brands.

Thank you very much,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A bad camera can produce false detections, hence notifications, but you didn't verify that you're changing settings in your modes and rules rather than the motion detetction test. It has to be in the rules and be saved.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many folks use two custom modes so motion sensitivity settings can be customized for day and night. The sun's IR is very strong and reflects from many surfaces such as cars, branches and leaves.  I suspect that the sun's angle, which changes as a function of time/seasons, is causing the false triggers. Reduce the sensitivity setting for the camera in your modes and rules (there are FAQs here on exactly how to do that). DO it in relatively small increments until you minimize the false detections while still getting the ones you need.

Also, post screenshots of the cameras for positioning suggestions - maybe they're just positioned poorly.

jshan
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply and info. I will post pics of the camers position tomorrow when I can get good pics in the day time.
The 1st set of cameras I had I did reduce the sensitivity down to 1% and still received notifications as well. I'll try it with these as well, thanks again!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A bad camera can produce false detections, hence notifications, but you didn't verify that you're changing settings in your modes and rules rather than the motion detetction test. It has to be in the rules and be saved.

jshan
Guide
Guide
Very helpful, did not realize there was a "test" and an additional option under mode/rules. I stepped down the sensitivity and it slowed down the notifications. Today wasnt as sunny but the next few days should let me know if this works. I'm already seeing results so am hopeful! Thank you!
So, I haven't received "pop-up" notifications on my phone since the new set up(new base/cameras) has been used, which was yesterday afternoon. I've set them both on my phone and the arlo app, but nothing. The emails come through but would be nice to have the pop ups as well.
jshan
Guide
Guide

jshan
Guide
Guide

Sydneyri
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same issue. I get alerts on 3 cameras every 2 minutes. It might be the sun. But I can't find Mode/Rules. I just have Mode, when I click on it, I'm taken to "Base Station" with 4 choices to click on (Armed, Disarmed, Schedule, Geofencing). Where can I adjust the sensitivity?

jshan
Guide
Guide

Hi Sydneyri,

These are the steps I took that have helped/solved my issue:
1. log in to app
2. select "mode" (top left, next to "Devices"
3. select the pencil next to "armed"
4. Under "rules", select the pencil next to your camera
5. adjust the motion & sound as desired, then select "save"

From what I understand many folks adjust it during "peak" daylight hours, I have lowered mine to about 65% for a couple hrs during the day, and maxed out the rest of the day. Hope this helps.  The app isnt the most intutive or clear so you are def not alone!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It helps a huge amount to actually review the myriad of FAQs here that touch on most subjects asked here.

02redcavi
Guide
Guide
I have the same problem due to the sun, no fix as of yet. Was wondering about buying the skins with a hood to see if that would work. Been in contact with customer service but no fix as of yet
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Skins won't help much but repositioning the camera and motion sensitivity settings can.

02redcavi
Guide
Guide
Why won’t the skins help jw ? I don’t have many other places to reposition the camera. I would think a good would shield the sun hitting the lens. Thanks
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not usually the sun directly hitting the sensor but reflections from leaves, cars, etc. that are moving around. The skin's hood won't be of much help since most of that movement/reflection is well below what the skin can block.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation