Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Trinut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings and Happy New Year,

I would greatly appreciate someone's help with this issue: 

I am trying to get the mobile app to list the cameras so that I can choose a specific one to arm (and adjust sensitivity with the slider). I can not remember the steps that I used (just a few weeks ago) to list them.

When I tap on "Mode" which is in the lower right corner, only the base station is listed. 

Both the manual (dated 2017) that came with the set, and the latest manual (2019) say to tap on "mode" and choose a device. (indicating that all devices will be listed) I have also talked with the friendly and helpful chat support folks with Arlo, and the last one I talked with suggested I "upgrade the Arlo app interface so that the Arlo app will be upgraded" " Once you upgrade you will have 3 modes of faces so that will be easy for you to create the modes".

Even though I wasn't quite sure that was what I needed to do, I tried the first steps, and do not get to a step to "upgrade".

I also just uninstalled and re-installed the app- no luck.  The dashboard (via PC) also does not show all cameras when I tap on "Mode". 

I really think there are some steps that I can take to list all the cameras- I just don't remember those. 

I did just recently replace the original base station with the one described in the Subject line (VMB4540-100NAS).

I  was able to list the devices after that so I could choose one to arm, but just don't remember the steps now.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Best regards, 

Trinut

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like you're using the old user interface (UI) that shows Library to view recordings and also shows Mode so you can activate cameras as required. Since you see your base when you go into Mode, click on that so you can actually set up what you need. Only cameras connected to your WiFi would show up instead of the base. With the cameras connected to the base, you choose the base and progress from there. The cameras won't be listed but the modes will be. Inside the modes you can set up rules for some or all of your cameras, as needed. The Armed mode automatically has a rule for every camera to record. Read this FAQ which may answer your questions:

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Trinut wrote:

the last one I talked with suggested I "upgrade the Arlo app interface so that the Arlo app will be upgraded" " Once you upgrade you will have 3 modes of faces so that will be easy for you to create the modes".

Not something I'd have recommended, but it would helpful to know if you managed to do it. When you open the app, are you seeing "Library"?  Or are you seeing "Dashboard" and "Feed" instead? 

With the "Library" interface, you can just go into the settings for a camera - you'll find a "disarm" control there.

Adjusting sensitivity is done in the rule for the camera(s) in the mode you are using.  Reading through this might help with that:

The new interface ("Feed") is structured differently, so do post back if you are now using that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like you're using the old user interface (UI) that shows Library to view recordings and also shows Mode so you can activate cameras as required. Since you see your base when you go into Mode, click on that so you can actually set up what you need. Only cameras connected to your WiFi would show up instead of the base. With the cameras connected to the base, you choose the base and progress from there. The cameras won't be listed but the modes will be. Inside the modes you can set up rules for some or all of your cameras, as needed. The Armed mode automatically has a rule for every camera to record. Read this FAQ which may answer your questions:

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Trinut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thanks very much for the reply. I have 4 cameras. Right now, the only option I have with respect to "arm" and "disarm"  (after I tap on "Mode" in the lower right corner of a display) is "arm all devices" and "disarm all devices"- and just below that, are the words "My Devices" - and just below that is only one device listed: the base station.

I am saying this at the outset, because a few days ago, I went between "Arm all devices" and "disarm all devices" a couple of times- but I returned to the "disarm" mode for the last several days- but, just so you know, this will indeed arm all devices, with motion sensitivity working fine on all 4 cameras. (I'm only telling you this, because it explains why I have some recordings on the devices (mentioned directly below) 

To answer your second question first- I do not see "dashboard" or "feed" when I open the app- I have "Library" at the bottom of the display.

So, to answer your first question:  When I open the mobile app, I see each of the camera views (small) that I last viewed for each of the 4 cameras, in a list, so to speak, one on top of the other, with the name of each camera below the view. When I scroll down to the bottom of the display, I have two large "tabs" one on top of the other:  "SmartHub/Base Station" and below it: "Add New Device". Below those, at the very bottom, I have, left to right:   "Devices", "Library" and "Mode". 

You mentioned "library":  When I tap on "Library", a screen with a list of 3 separate video recordings from ONE of the cameras is shown. (that's from what I mentioned above, when I had all devices armed) And the name of the month and the days are at the top. On that screen, it does not look like I am able to get to an "arm" or "disarm" choice for the camera that is named on that page showing the recordings. In the upper right corner of the display, there is the "filter" symbol, and the 3 vertical dots next to the filter symbol. I do not see "arm" or "disarm" after tapping on the filter symbol, and, the 3 vertical dots gives me "settings" and "log out". The settings page has some options under: "Device settings", "Notifications", "Account" and "System" but none of those  options under any of the categories seem to have to do with "arming" or "disarming".

When I tap on "My Devices" under "Device Settings" (the top category on the settings page) I do get a list of the cameras under the name of the base station, but when I tap on a camera name, I get the the usual "Device settings" page for that particular camera. Should there be an option I can tap on under any of the categories ("General", "Video", or "Audio")? I don't think I can arm or disarm from this settings page- none of the options I have tapped on show "arm" or "Disarm" for that particular device.

When I tap on the other day of the month that I had all devices armed, I get a list of recordings that are from each of the cameras ("arm" was on longer that day). By the way, the notifications on our mobile apps (I am sharing with one other person) are working fine as well, when there is motion. 

As i mentioned in my question, I have un-installed and re-installed the app from the Google Play store (so, I am using Android) the name of the app I am downloading from the play store is: "Arlo Secure: Home...". That is really the only Arlo app available (there is one called: "Arlo Safe: Family Safety"  but I know that is not the one to use).

Thanks for the 2 links- I used both- unfortunately, the steps in the top one, which I know should "be the ticket" don't work because I am not able to get a list of devices so that I can just arm/disarm one of them- that's my goal. 

I hope this info was helpful, if you might be able to continue to help me resolve this, I would be most grateful!.

Best regards, 

Trinut

Trinut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jquerdat,

That is it! Thanks so very much! I have set the camera I wanted to set. 

I assume that, on the "Rule Summary" page, at the bottom- "Push Notifications" is how you can set it to give an audible notification on the mobile device you have the app on, correct? 

By the way, you mentioned that I am using the old UI- it seems like this was the only option when I recently downloaded the app from the Google Play store. Better stated: there was one app available on the play store, and that is what I am using. (so, of course, now you know I am using an android device)

Is there a way to obtain the new UI for my mobile phone and for the other mobile phone I am sharing the app with (another android mobile device)? 

I actually acquired the 4 camera set about 4 years ago, and started using it then, then after using it for about 2 years, I took it down at the original location and have just started using it again at a new location. I am wondering, even though I uninstalled the original app from my phone, and just recently downloaded the available app on the play store, is there something still in my phone that is causing the recently- downloaded app to run in the old UI?

Thanks again SO MUCH for your help! 

Best regards, 

Trinut

Trinut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Just wanted to try and catch you before you even read my first reply- the reply from Jquerdat was the solution. 

Apologies to you for me not reading ALL replies before replying to you. I kept telling myself to read his reply before answering yours, but once I got started on yours, I just kept going on the reply to you before reading his. 

You referenced the newer interfaces in your answer, so it turns out it was very similar to his (or hers?).

Thank you again so much for your help and time with your answer, and for the links!!

Happy new year and best regards,

Trinut

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Trinut wrote:

Is there a way to obtain the new UI for my mobile phone and for the other mobile phone I am sharing the app with (another android mobile device)? 

There is, but there are issues with the new UI.  And if you migrate to "Feed", you won't be able to migrate back.

So if everything is working for you now, I suggest sticking with "Library". 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Trinut wrote:I am wondering, even though I uninstalled the original app from my phone, and just recently downloaded the available app on the play store, is there something still in my phone that is causing the recently- downloaded app to run in the old UI?

The current app supports both the old and new UI, depending on when you created the account and what new hardware is installed. Since you have older hardware, there's no need to do anything now. As @StephenB notes, the new UI has issues for many folks although it may work fine for you. There's no need to take a chance at this point so the basic recommendation is to stay put.

Trinut
Aspirant
Aspirant

okay, StephenB- I will stick with the interface I am currently using- thanks for the information and the advice!!

Trinut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, I will definitely stay put with the UI I am currently using. Thanks very much, Jguerdat for the advice and information. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation