Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone else using the CVR function?  I have a camera pointed out my driveway using CVR for 2-3 days now and I've noticed that the CVR video appears to be out of sync with the activity timeline.  Meaning, if I scroll through looking for a "green motion sensed event" in the timeline, the video doesn't reflect any motion.  In fact, if I look at other cameras or even the same cameras built-in clips of the motion event, they display the video.  So it seems the timeline and CVR video itself is out of sync.  Whether it's forward or backward or by how much, I have no idea.  I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure that out and I've yet to find a CVR video of any movement.  Very frustrating.  Add this to bug #4 I have experienced with this device, and this one makes the CVR entirely useless and not worth the monthly charge.  I am BestBuy Elite+ so I do have some time to return but this is becoming very very frustrating...

38 REPLIES 38
Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok, so I figured out the CVR video is about 14 minutes behind the real time.

Can someone from net gear please advise?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you restarted your base?

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes. No improvement.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The next thing to check is that all firmware is up to date by comparing what's in Settings, Your Devices, each camera/base and compare to what's listed in the Release Notes section here. Beyond that, maybe remove the camera and resync it. Worst case try a system reset.

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice
Oddly enough everything is in sync today. I didn't make any changes. The previous days, however, continue to be out of sync but hopefully things will remain in sync moving forward.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Something about Halloween?  😛

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice
Having the issue again today. CVR is useless when the time line doesn't match up.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you verified the time on your devices? That is, are they displaying the proper time? Is your router set up to block any ports, especially 123, to arlo.netgear.com?

If all is well, opena case with support.

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, everything looks fine time and time sync wise. As for calling support, I can but I was hoping not to have to waste my precious time doing power cycles. I have 10 cameras and don't have the time to start from scratch.
Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice

FYI, I am still having issues with the timeline sync - I checked one of my cameras and determined it's off by 44(!!) minutes.  I will try to reach out to support today. 

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had the exact same issue as well and after having a ticket open with support for over a week, I just gave up and returned the cameras. Was this ever resolved?
Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice

No, I am still having issues.  I have 3 cameras setup for CVR and sometimes one of the three is in sync but usually they are all slightly off - sometimes by more than 30-40 minutes.  Quite frustrating.  This is something that Nest has done really well.  

Manole831
Apprentice
Apprentice
Unbelievable! I asked support to credit me for the time I subscribed to it and they refused. I really, really don’t want to switch to Nest because the PIR sensor has advantages over image motion detection and most of my cameras are running on batteries. But, this CVR issue really has me concerned and Netgear’s horrific response to this issue is just ridiculous. Adding insult to injury, support pings me once a week to check in if the condition has improved without any communication of anything they’ve done on their end to triage. When you spend this kind of money on Cameras, they better be rock solid.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Johnny45,

A firmware update was recently released for Arlo Pro 2. Are you still experiencing this issue?

JamesC

CB11
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still having the problem here. Its out of sync on desktop browsers and the app. I previously had a ticket open and it was blamed on me using android Oreo. It can't be my end if its the same on the browser too. One of my cameras is fine, the other isn't. I've tried reinstalling, resetting etc
jdubbs413
Aspirant
Aspirant

This remains an issue even still today.  My dad has the same setup his timeline is off by 4 minutes.  Mine is 11 today.  The motion time is correction but the video doesn't match up.

robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

I too have the same issue. 

I'm getting notifications and videos, but when I look back at the CVR, its around 44minutes out. 

Yesterday I had a suspicious person walk around the front of our house (Pro 2 - Non CVR), I got the notification at 17:04 so to check if they went around the back on the CVR camera and at 17:04 there was nothing. I eventually managed to find the recording at 17:48. 

I have tried restarting the base and re-syncing the cameras but this makes no difference. I raised a support case with Arlo this morning so hopefully someone will look into it.

Seems like its pretty widespread, so all being well it will be resolved soon. 

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice
I too am still having this issue on all 3 cameras I have setup for CVR.
CB11
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm still having the issue too. I was told new firmware is coming to fix it but this was around a month ago.
metalunna
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ordered my CVR on the 20th and I saw time sync issues right away.  Sometimes its 10 seconds (perfectly fine) - or it can be up to 40 minutes.  

I have rebooted and re-synched..Today, I figured I'd just log the call just to get my name on record.

The Tech wanted me to "shut off my netowrk devices for 2 minutes" and contact support when everything was back up.  I can't really power off over 50 network devices in my house, so I assumed she meant my router.  I also powered off the camera and Base while I was at it.

As of now its off by 10 seconds, but based on previous reboots, that can change..I actually put a clock on my car so I can determine where/when the lag occurs. This is just a troubleshooting step as I cant really have an alalog clock installed in my driveway permanently.  Which, by the way, is a great example of why we need time stamp overlays

metalunna
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using the clock to troubleshoot, I can now see it is off by 15 minutes.

When I click to LIVE VIEW, it it correct, but as soon as I scrub through the video, it somehow omits the last 15 minutes. Any scrub after that brings me to random times within that 15 minute window. But it was relatively in synch after my last reboot for 2 hours.

Example...live VIEW correctly shows 10:15pm...if I scrub to any time before then (but after 9:00pm - the last known good synch time) it brings me to 15 minutes after the time code...

I scrub to 9:25pm, the "real" clock I have set up shows 9:10

I then scrub to the end of the timeline which should be 10:15, but the "real" clock shows 10.

metalunna
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another update using my "real clock":

At midnight, the sync reset.

From my previous post, it was 15 minutes out of synch. 

On my timeline,  at 12:17 to 12:19 there are no thumbnails,  and when playing back at that time, the video jumps to 12:19 yet the real clock still shows 12:17. 

Based on that,  I can see where a few of these "blank " events can cause cumulative missing time. 

I do not know what causes these blank events.  But even if it is a poor network,  or poor camera WiFi connection (which I don't believe them to be), shouldn't the CVR be smart enough to realize the gaps and once connection is restored, synch the times with the camera,  the base,  and the CVR player? 

Based on what im seeing,  my network is clear. I have no devices throwing errors in my logs . My NTP is synched with all my other devices at home.  

This leads me to think it is the way the CVR software is playing the videos back is nor taking any video gaps in to consideration... wether they are local network issues or cloud based.

Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice

I noticed the same issues with the blank areas of recording but I finally gave up on Arlo fixing this and went to Best Buy this afternoon and picked up a Nest IQ Outdoor camera.  It works perfectly.  The CVR and timeline is flawless and it's quick and easy to scroll through the video as a time lapse.  I was so happy with it that I went to a different Best Buy to pick up another Nest IQ Outdoor within 30 minutes of installing the first.  Tomorrow, I suspect I'll be picking up my third to replace my final powered Arlo Pro 2... good thing I have another local Best Buy with just one of these in stock.  These Arlos will be going on Ebay tomorrow...

A few other big improvements with the Nests:

- The night vision is excellent - as good or better than the Pro 1s

- The audio is superb.  Two way full duplex and the microphone and the speaker are very loud and of good quality

- Build quality is much better

- Comes with a nice 25' cord

- Can utilize my 5Ghz band

Arlo doesn't seem to take these issues seriously or doesn't have the capacity or ability to get some of these features right... I'll keep my battery powered Arlos but my 3 powered ones are going on Ebay.

Good luck.

metalunna
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's a shame, but I'm glad you took the time to post your experience - even after you decided to switch. I was honestly hoping that I would be lucky and NOT experience the CVR issues others were seeing.  

I actually had to use the CVR today as my car mysterously got a dent in it.  Trying to click around the timeline, not knowing where I am in the stream is frustrating..and the lack of ability to fast forward while playing is twice as frustrating.  I have to sit through hours of real time video to find what accounts for 2 seconds of activity.  

While I've been troubleshooting this CVR "subscription", I kept telling myself - well, at least the Data is there - if I ever really need it, at least I'll have it...well, now I take it back - I actually need it - and I have no way easily find it.

Discussion stats