Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dear Arlo

I have been loyal to you and your product. I even bought my 4 kids Arlo Pro 2 systems.

For the past week my base go off somewhere between 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM thus the cameras do not record any event. I am force to go and reset the base to get it back on. It does bring it back up. But if I am away there will be no one to reset the system.

I am afaird the when I go away for summer vacation nothing will be recorded and that will be ashame.

So I am asking for your help what other security system would you recommend so I have peace of mind that 

what happens outside gets recorded. 

I would appreciate your input from the following companies.

Lorex

Swann

Nest

Ring

So  

6 REPLIES 6
XxTHExONExX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I am a novice as well but what I did to get things so no contact lost was get the NETGEAR ROUTER as it extends the range of wi-fi and it is for gaming and other features. It was 200 here in Canada but I am so glad I have the security system. Also, I was out of town last week and noticed base offline and thought wow, how do I reset from out of town. The next day it was back online and no problems since.

XxTHExONExX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just wanted to add I got my system at Bestbuy but Netgear router at Wallmart, as well only heard of swann and perhaps they all have youtube videos on how they work like arlo has their tutorials 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Lightyears wrote:

Dear Arlo

I have been loyal to you and your product. I even bought my 4 kids Arlo Pro 2 systems.

For the past week my base go off somewhere between 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM thus the cameras do not record any event. I am force to go and reset the base to get it back on. It does bring it back up. But if I am away there will be no one to reset the system.

I am afaird the when I go away for summer vacation nothing will be recorded and that will be ashame.

So I am asking for your help what other security system would you recommend so I have peace of mind that 

what happens outside gets recorded. 

I would appreciate your input from the following companies.

Lorex

Swann

Nest

Ring

So  

There are certainly many factors to consider.  I use Nest, Arlo, Axis, and Ring.  I’ve used older CCTV cameras.  I have two monitored alarm systems and I’ve used a few other cameras from D-Link, Logitech Circle, Guardzilla and perhaps others.

There are pros and cons to every system.  I’d never recommend using just a single homogeneous system from a single vendor.  Cloud based systems especially, can have problems that will “blind” you and may not record activity while you are unable to monitor your premises as well.  I prefer to have a combination of local autonomy and cloud based systems so when the network is down, I can see what happened just before the network went down, by reviewing cloud recordings and I have the comfort of knowing the local recordings are likely still taking place even though the network or cloud servers for the cloud system are off-line.

I like Nest for full time recording and their IQ Outdoor cameras have great two way audio.  Geofencing generally works well.  Nest cameras must be connected to power.  Recording segments take a little work to isolate and download.  I don’t think there is a snapshot feature, I use screen shots for that.  Nest cameras plans are fairly expensive.  $100/year for the first camera per location and $50/yr for the next camera per location.   Nest only allows three locations...including shared access to thermostats owned by others.  Very odd.

I just started using a Ring camera and have not yet seen geofencing functionality.   I don’t think they have it.  I’ve used the Ring Pro doorbell for two years and like it.  Arlo issues have prompted me to evaluate Ring Cameras more thoroughly.  Their Spotlight camera uses one or two rechargeable batteries and has a solar panel option.  The camera is much larger than Arlo Pro (2-3x larger).  Much more analysis to be done.

Axis has a wide range of cameras...some extremely expensive, great video, great local recording options.  They are complex to fully exploit, require a Windows PC to fully configure, most of their more expensive cameras have no built-in audio.  Notifications are tricky and complex.  No geofencing that I’ve discovered so far.  Some amazing cameras with 30x optical zoom and full physical PTZ.  I use Axis as a complement to consumer systems, so I can utilize their strengths and avoid their weaknesses.  They were originally made for commercial and industrial settings, but are branching out.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I interpreted XxTHExONExX's post wrong - ignore me.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@XxTHExONExX wrote:

Hi, I am a novice as well but what I did to get things so no contact lost was get the NETGEAR ROUTER as it extends the range of wi-fi and it is for gaming and other features. It was 200 here in Canada but I am so glad I have the security system. Also, I was out of town last week and noticed base offline and thought wow, how do I reset from out of town. The next day it was back online and no problems since.

I have a few methods for approaching the answer to your question "Also, I was out of town last week and noticed base offline and thought wow, how do I reset from out of town."

First, I have a few methods of determining if my Internet service is working at the location.  By confirming my Internet is up and running, I can focus on the Arlo problem.  I also happen to have Arlo systems at more than one location, so I can check to make sure there isn't some rare Arlo-wide problem keeping base stations from communicating with the cloud servers.  (You may not have this luxury).  If the base station is unreachable, you  cannot restart it from the application, so I have installed a smart outlet on each of my Arlo base stations.  I use WeMo or TP-Link (aka Kasa) smart outlets.  I also power my network and security equipment through a UPS to prevent power sags, surges and flickers from messing with them.  I plug the smart outlet into one of the UPS Backup outlets and then plug my base station into the smart outlet.  This allows me to power cycle the base station from anywhere on earth (or above it) that has an Internet connection.  I have sucessfully power cycled equipment from taxis and even jets (at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic Ocean).  It is rather fun.

Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have Google wifi extenders sitting right by the base stations and they all are showing to be in Great shape the the intenet connection so I do not feel it is the intenet issue. And if it is then Bell is ripping me off.

I will look into the wemo or simmilar plug in that would reboot the power once my base station was plugged into them.

Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation