Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local USB Storage w/o subscription

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ezekwhr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Been searching all over the place, but I can’t seem to find a solid answer. Currently using the Pro2 cameras (VMB4500r2) and as everyone knows, has the free 7-day cloud storage. Now, I understand that attaching a local USB storage will serve as a backup, so you have both 7-day cloud and USB storage at the same time. What I’m wondering is does the USB storage keep recordings beyond 7 days? I assume that it does cause there’s an option to overwrite the data when the storage is close to capacity. I’m hoping owners using local USB storage can chime in. At the time of purchasing the cameras, I bought a 1TB HDD to use for the system. But after finding out (at the time) that the only way you can view the recordings on the HDD, you had to disconnect the HDD then connect it to a computer/laptop to be able to view them. So I just returned the HDD. But NOW with the latest app update (on iOS), you can view the recordings on the local USB storage. So now I’m considering getting a HDD again. *facepalm* 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

The only recent change  has been the ability to get at local recordings without having to remove the USB drive from the hub.

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

@ezekwhr:  Note that Direct Storage Access isn't available on the 4500 base station.  You'd need to replace it with a 4540 or a 5000 to get it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ezekwhr wrote:

What I’m wondering is does the USB storage keep recordings beyond 7 days?

Yes.  It keeps recordings until it gets full and has to make room for new material.

@ezekwhr wrote:

At the time of purchasing the cameras, I bought a 1TB HDD to use for the system.

Might or might not work. Not all USB devices are suitable. Most experience reported here is with thumb drives.

@ezekwhr wrote:

Now, I understand that attaching a local USB storage will serve as a backup, so you have both 7-day cloud and USB storage at the same time.

That has always been the case. The only recent change  has been the ability to get at local recordings without having to remove the USB drive from the hub.

This might help:

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

The only recent change  has been the ability to get at local recordings without having to remove the USB drive from the hub.

@ezekwhr:  Note that Direct Storage Access isn't available on the 4500 base station.  You'd need to replace it with a 4540 or a 5000 to get it.

ezekwhr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Welp. I’m dumb. And I am sorry for those I have wasted time. I remember seeing that now that you brought this up. Thank you for your time, fellow Arlo members.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation