Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local Storage Drives Damaged

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
amc747
Follower
Follower

I have an Arlo pro 2 system for the last two years connected to an external hard drive, last year I noticed the Base was asking to re-format the drive and had local storage off. The drive was dead, no files, no videos. So, I thought well the drive is dead no big deal, so I format to FAT 32 a 16 GB USB drive, Arlo base took it, and I was up and running no issues until today. The new Arlo UI came up, and I decided to check on the local storage. To my surprise, it was off and couldn't be turned on either. Took the USB drive out and connected to my computer and no videos. I tried to re-format the drive, and there is no way to do so even with Windows CMD. Two drives burned out by Arlo base. The only thing that change in the last few months was the newest Arlo App update. Don't know if a firmware update is causing the drives to get burned (destroy) or what but two drives back to back in less than two years seems suspicious.

1 REPLY 1
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@amc747 wrote:

I have an Arlo pro 2 system for the last two years connected to an external hard drive, last year I noticed the Base was asking to re-format the drive and had local storage off. The drive was dead, no files, no videos. So, I thought well the drive is dead no big deal, so I format to FAT 32 a 16 GB USB drive, Arlo base took it, and I was up and running no issues until today. The new Arlo UI came up, and I decided to check on the local storage. To my surprise, it was off and couldn't be turned on either. Took the USB drive out and connected to my computer and no videos. I tried to re-format the drive, and there is no way to do so even with Windows CMD. Two drives burned out by Arlo base. The only thing that change in the last few months was the newest Arlo App update. Don't know if a firmware update is causing the drives to get burned (destroy) or what but two drives back to back in less than two years seems suspicious.

I have found that Flash Drives don't last long in security cameras, depending on how much recording is taking place.  I had a 32 GB micro SD card in an Axis camera that fried after a year of doing continuous recording.  Of course, it saw a lot of write activity over that period of time.  

I find the Arlo local storage to be nearly useless since Arlo provides zero access to the data via their apps.  I have never looked at the contents.  One of mine shows a status of "Full" and the other shows "Good", both are set to automatically overwrite.  Since there is no notice as to when something might be on them, but missing from the cloud storage, one has to stumble on a clue that data might be missing from the library and then yank out the stick to see if it is on there.  A really odd implementation IMHO.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation