Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live video lag/delay

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tomasu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I recently bought the 2 camera Arlo Pro 2 kit and its working alright, except the live stream video WAS delayed over 30 seconds making the system less useful. That said, I just reset the base station and one camera and the delay is down to 1-2 seconds. That is still not ideal and can make use of the camera for communication annoying at best.

Is there a way to get a more real time feed out of this system?

I have a 300/16mb internet connection, a GbE lan, and 802.11ac wifi network. Quality of my home network is pretty good. Speeds on my phone which is the device I'm testing the stream with, is 40-70mb/s down and 9mbps up according to the speedtest app. It's never worse than that afaik and often better. Speedtest on my main workstation shows:8721505813

I have my upstream slightly limited (and QoSed) to work around things like bufferbloat. My router/firewall is a standalone embedded device running pfSense with more than enough beef to handle my internet connection and my use. (While it can handle heavy usage including lots of users and torrents, I don't normally torrent anything and don't have any regular or on going transfers set up). Oh, just rememberd, there are often one or two video streams going to youtube and/or netflix. Otherwise my network/internet use is really low.

I like the Idea of this system, and would love to get it as optimized/useful as possible. My plan was to have a system that I just do some basic setup and "forget" it exists for the most part. Otherwise I'd have gone with ZoneMinder and some less expensive (but more capable) IP cams. Obviously that route is far more work.

Assuming I can get this system up to my minimum requirements I'll be expanding it past the basic two camera setup I currently have. Get a solar panel for the outdoor camera, maybe a second camera for outside (perhaps a pro 3 or Ultra), and maybe other components.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Scotty8296
Aspirant
Aspirant

My system also has a terrible lag that make live feed useless. I have a 1 gig internet service and nothing else lags in this house. 

download 945  upload 862  latency 9ms!!!!!!!!

Absolutely not the internet , this must be a software issue on arlo's behalf. 

Tomasu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I find I can get delay down to 1-2 seconds. It doesn't usually last very long. Often have to restart the preview or even disable/reenable the camera. It does seem something that just shouldn't happen. 2 second lag when in the same lan/wlan as the hub is pretty inexcusable.

lsowers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any updates?  This 2 to 5 second lag isn't working for me either.  I use it at my office and someone is inside before they even show up on the camera outside my door.

Justin176
Aspirant
Aspirant
The app loading and then live video just gets worse and worse. Arlo needs to do less processing in the slow cloud and do at least some of it on the base station. If there wasn’t such horrible lag (every single time) this wold be an amazing system. I’ve had the system for 3 years and it’s just getting slower and slower. I’m currently at 20-40 second lag with base station connected via Ethernet
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation