Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
Really tired of app updates that keep breaking things or taking away useful features. Latest version released on 12/21 (thanks for the "present") - release 2.12.1_27005:

1. Breaks filtered videos when viewing full screen. The list will be correct, but then when swiping through to review, videos that are supposed to be filtered out from ALL the other cameras show (as if you never setup the free or it disappeared.

2. The date of the video has now been taken away on the pop-up display when in full screen. This was a feature I used all the time and it being missing is severely annoying. We're dealing with security video here, being able to quickly know when an event happened seems like a sensible requirement. Making it harder to get that information (having to exit the full screen view) seems counter intuitive.
76 REPLIES 76
dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
Curious as to what is supposedly fixed in the newly released version. ALL of the issues here still exist.
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had a ticket open on the broken filter issue since December. Arlo will occasionally send me a message asking if I still have the problem but won't say, even when I ask, what they've done to correct the issue. After multiple rounds like this, Arlo sent me a message asking me to contact them. There are many people on this board that have the same issue. The only "fix" I'm aware of is the clever posts by a few that say rolling back to a prior Android app version, before broken versions came out. Of all the issues I've had with Arlo, this seems to be one of only two issues Arlo hasn't corrected. I hate the added frustration of Arlo not answering direct questions when so many have reported the same thing.
peebs
Guide
Guide

@jam436 wrote:

..and if you look through the Arlo Pro 3 and higher threads, you won't see these problems.
This recent -explosion- of problems seems to be limited only to the older Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 systems, you know, the only systems left that offer a week's worth of free cloud storage for up to 5 cameras.
Starting with the Arlo Pro 3 systems, a paid subscription is now necessary.

Apparently since breaking off from Netgear in Jan. 2019, the new managers have decided to squeeze owners of these older systems out - by intentionally sabotaging their own systems.
There seems to be no other explanation for this sudden deluge of issues, all cropping up in just the last couple of months, many of which are rendering these systems nearly unusable. Is this by design? I believe it is.
The new owners no longer wish to honor the original free subscription agreement written by Netgear.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with this. I used to have Vuezone cameras until Netgear tossed them in the trash to push their expensive Arlo cameras. So like the fool that I am, I bought $500 worth of Arlo Pro cameras and now it seems the folks at Arlo may be trashing the Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras (with their supposed "free" subscriptions"), in favor of the Arlo 3 cameras which require a subscription.

I wouldn't put it past a terrible company like Arlo to plan by design the trashing of Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 app, so they can get everyone to buy Arlo 3 cameras (ca-ching!).

However, I also believe the developers at Arlo are incompetent. They have no problem breaking the Arlo app with each new "upgrade." Truly sad.

I DO NOT recommend anyone buy Arlo products. Terrible company, terrible product.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Of the two issues I'm having now, one (broken filters) is seemingly limited to the Android App, nothing to do with the cameras itself. Mine are the Ultras. I do agree with much of what you said though. I do see that Arlo pushed out a new Android App 2 days ago, but the release notes that describe what the fixes were, make no mention of the library filtering issue. Therefore I'm reluctant to try it. I did roll back to an older version which restored the proper filtering, but I might be missing out on newer features. Oh Well...
Jdat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has anyone had a problem in the Arlo app where the videos only get marked the first time you go into view the recordings on one camera? If I go to subsequent cameras the recordings stay unviewed. I have to close the app and come back in to view for the next one to show viewed. Is this a known bug in the app?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello Community,

The Arlo Development Team is working on this issue. I will provide an update as soon as possible. 

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello, did they just start working on this issue? I've had a help ticket open on this since December. Arlo continues to send me emails asking if I'm still experiencing the issue but they never say if they're doing anything to fix it. The last time they sent me that same question, they suggested I call them to discuss - despite the numerous others that have also reported the same problem since December.
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo fixing this long standing issue would restore our faith. I am still using 3rd party app with restore to previous version and it works flawlessly.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Doxiedoglover

The Arlo development team is working on the issue & I will be providing an update when this issue is resolved. 

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is this a new resolution development from Arlo - or an old one resent?
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
That would certainly restore our faith! And Arlo could retain customers
jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has this 'broken filter' issue been resolved yet?
It's been three months and there have been several new releases since this problem appeared.
(I downgraded back to 2.12.0.26090, the last version that worked, and have Auto Updates turned off in my Google Play Store...)
So either, I was right the first time, and Arlo is intentionally sabotaging their own product to force out users of these older systems that came with free storage for a week, or the developers are so incompetent that they broke it, and now don't care and/or know how to fix it.
So, which is it?

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm frustrated too. I also seem to be stuck in an endless loop of cut/paste responses from Arlo regarding my help ticket about this same issue. Once every two weeks I get a help ticket that says the same thing, "we believe you are still having the same problem etc etc...". They ask me to try their reset suggestions which don't work and to call them to discuss.
Also,despitee me telling them there are plenty of others in the community board that say they're experiencing the same issue, this goes ignored and I get the same canned response two weeks later. Of all the issues I've experienced with Arlo, this one seems to take the cake of bafoonery. The moderator here even says they're aware of the problem but nothing ever gets done, no updates and the help ticket responses never acknowledge what the moderator here has stated. So what are we all supposed to do??
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue regarding the filters resetting should now be fixed. Please download the latest app version 2.13. 

I have provided further details here. Arlo Android App - 2.13 - 4th March 2020

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Looking forward to responses from users before I change anything. 😡
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ditto and it's working well so not touching it
SkySrfr
Guide
Guide
I can verify that after I updated the app, this filter bug seems to finally be resolved. Now the question is... what else broke in the process of fixing this?
Thanks for fixing this, Arlo Team.
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is the date/time stamp still missing from the full-screen view in the new version?

SkySrfr
Guide
Guide
I attached a screenshot of watching a video clip with the timestamp at the top... Is that what you mean?
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
How are everyone's cameras working? I am not convinced yet...I believe recordings are not happening from 11:00 pm to 6:00 a.m. and there were ALWAYS cars ...until now.
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is anyone still using the rollback?
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had been using the rollback version for about a month due to this 3 month plus old problem. Yes, the latest release does seem to fix the library filtering issue. Indo experience times when a camera seems to "go to sleep" for short periods or very long periods of time that a redundant camera does pick up. I feel this is a completely separate issue from the library issue, but instead something else. I've had that problem for months as well, but only with cameras that are on full time AC power. Things are much better lately but I suspect we're still having issues. Better though.... Good Luck All
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's all BS, so annoyed. They fix half the problem. Great. Now my cameras record half the time. Argh!
Going to go back to the roll back .
jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

They may have fixed the broken filters, but they still need to bring back the time stamps.
The only way you can see them now is by hitting the Play button.

Discussion stats