Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Beeboop
Aspirant
Aspirant

Beginning about a week ago,  I noticed that my Arlo Pro 2 system (which has 12 cameras on it) was not recording videos as it should. A motion would occur in close proximity to a camera, yet there would be no video of the incident. If I tried connecting live to that camera, it would not connect.

I have tried restarting the base station via the app, power cycling it according to the online instructions, and resetting it and setting up the entire system all over again. Each of these approaches will get the system working normally again for a few hours, but inevitably the problems crop up again.

The issue does not seem to affect all of the cameras all at once, but the ones that are not recording/connecting seem to vary. For example, let's say that cameras 1, 2, and 3 are not working, but cameras 4 through 12 are working just fine, then I restart the base station, power cycle it, or whatever, and now cameras 1, 2, and 3 are working fine, but now cameras 4 and 5 are problematic.

This is getting really frustrating and I know I am missing important videos that are not being recorded. If you have any advice beyond what I have already tried, please let me know. Thanks so much for your help and time.

6 REPLIES 6
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Beeboop wrote:

Beginning about a week ago,  I noticed that my Arlo Pro 2 system (which has 12 cameras on it) was not recording videos as it should.

12 cameras is way  more than the five max cameras that a "free" Pro 2 account can handle.

Arlo recently changed the subscription regime. What are you paying for? How many cameras?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Beeboop
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Smart Elite subscription, which allows me the 12 cameras. My subscription is paid through April 2021.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

All cameras set as active?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Beeboop
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, all cameras are active. For whatever reason, a few of them will drop out (i.e. not record videos, not connect live) until I reset the base station. Then those cameras will start working again, while few others will drop out. Then the cycle continues. In terms of which cameras are affected at any given time, as far as I can tell, it is random. Sometimes the problem might be with cameras 1 and 2, another time it might be cameras 5 and 7, another time it might be cameras 2, 5, and 7.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Just to clarify the Elite is for up to five like @michaelkenward  ask how much are you paying and are all active in subscription setting or do you have the others on another account or as an add on camera. As he said earlier plans have changed. The current Elite is for 4k. I have seen the old legacy plans handled more cams but you may have been taken off that. But either way you should  and 7 day recordings on Pro2 for 5 cams and live for all. 

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlosmart/default.aspx

Beeboop
Aspirant
Aspirant

While I very much appreciate your input, I think you guys are on the wrong track in believing that these issues are related to my subscription. As I type this, I am looking at the details of my current subscription as written on the Subscription tab of My Arlo. The first bullet point of the Arlo Smart Elite plan reads, "Support up to 20 cameras." Below the description, it reads "12 of 12 camera(s) participating."

My suspicion was and has been that my issues stem from a hardware/software issue with the base station. Otherwise, I am not sure why resetting the base station would fix the problem, albeit only temporarily.

As it happens, I realized I had a second VMB4000 base station at my house. It was brand new and never used. It had come with some of my cameras, but I never even opened it because I already had a VMB4000 up and running. As an experiment, I deactivated the problematic base station yesterday and replaced it with the new one. It has only been about 24 hours, but so far everything is working perfectly.

Given that, I think there was just something wrong with my old base station. What the problem was exactly though, I do not know. It was running the same firmware as the new base station so I am leaning more in the direction of a hardware problem rather than software, but maybe I am wrong.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation