Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Not sure of the model info. What I have is Pro 2 wireless, base model is VMB4000.

I've been having nothing but problems with this system for more than a week. I won't go into details on all the problems and suggested solutions. System was working good until about a week, or so, ago. Cameras were recording but not storing in Library. Multiple responses from the community on fixes that didn't solve the problem. Two, or three, sessions with support, 1 on phone, 2 emails, helped get cameras working teemporarily.

Ended-up resyncing all cameras, rebooting system and thought I had the problem solved, but,  when I would click on Devices and it showed what the cameras saw nothing being recorded/stored in Library. System is set-up on a schedule, same as before -  on 9 P.M. off 6 A.M..

This morning, 05/25, I checked my email to see if anything was recorded. Nothing. Opened my account and clickd on Devices. Each camera had a good picture of what the cameras were seeing. When I clicked on the Live button all I get is a dark green screen. Went to Library only videos of camera three were there recording before and after the turn-off time. Click on any of the videos and all I get is a black screen with "loading" barely visible in the background. No other videos from cameras 1 or 2.

Sorry if this post is a bunch of "gibberish" but it's hard to put everything I've experienced in writing.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to get this system operating the way it is supposed to but won't spend a lot of time chasing suggested solutions that haven't worked in the past.

Right now,  I'm about to trash this system and see if there is something better on the market.

12 REPLIES 12
jjtollus
Guide
Guide

Something definelty changed recently.  My systems went from working flawlessly for 2 years to nothing but problems.  Now I can't even open the iPhone app, since it was updated a little over a day ago, every time I open the app it immediately crashes.

My cameras stopped recording too, I stopped getting notifications.  One thing I did notice is I use the schedule feature.  During the day I only have 2 cameras active, so I created a custom mode for that....and it seemed to still be working.  At night I have them all armed.  The default "Armed" configuration no longer has any variables you can select.  It just says armed.  I can't tell it how long to record, whether to send a push notification, email or both, etc.  

I personally think something they did in the background, an update to firmware, the app, their cloud or something has created some issues.

I am considering trashing my system too.  It's much slower to respond than it used to be (I used to get a knock on the door and I could open the app and see live video of the person at the door, now by the time it's live the person has left because it takes so long to respond), 2 of my 4 cameras have the pink hue to them - one was already replaced - but my system is no longer under warranty.  I'm fed up.

I hope you find a solution.  I know this wasn't much help, but letting you know you're not alone and I'll be watching this thread to see if a solution presents itself.

markdouglas
Initiate
Initiate

Same thing with me.  New app update is horrible!!  App flickers on ASUS tablet and wont work. On my Samsung devices i can nolonger see cameras that i have been invited to view/share app always says device may not be connected for Shared Devices. useing a web browser on my computer to see them works fine but I really use app alot more. App is broken on Android. VERY DISSAPPOINTED. I have had these cameras for almost 2 years and now they dont work as they used to because of app.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

yes, lately things have gotten buggy... been running Arlo's for 3+ yrs and Vuezone ( netgear bought them out and they became arlo ).

It seems lately it's been one step forward and two back, Major issue seems to be adding new features for the new products which mess up the older.

Has happen back in late 2015 when the software took a big change over. but I do think it will all come out right again.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks jjtolus Aspirant for your post. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

You are right. Something has been changed by Netgear.

I just checked my email and I received notice that Arlo has detected motion on camera 3 @ 7:23 A.M. Cameras supposed to stop monitoring at 6 A.M.

When I click the email and try to view any of the detections all I get is a black screen. If I log in to my account, go to Library it shows more than 20 detections. Click on any of them all I get is a black screen with "loading" in the background.

If I click on Devices, they look normal as I'm seeing what the camera sees. If I click on Live, nothing but a green screen.

What I'm going to do, when I get back in town, is delete everything, uninstall Arlo/Netgear files from my computer then redo it the same as if it is the 1st time. If that doesn't work, then Arlo/Netgear is history. I'm sure there are other more reliable systems out there.

As for Netgear/Arlo support, as far as I'm concerned it is "no support". Took several days and trouble tickets to get any response. The one experience I had with them, via phone, was far from good. I was told to remove the cameras and resync them. Because of their positions I told the agent that it will take me about 20 minutes to get them down, resync'd and reinstalled and asked her to call me back in about 20 minutes. Never did. Now, I'm getting multiple emails from Netgear saying they haven't heard from me so my trouble ticket will be cancelled in 3 days.

This company leaves a lot to be desired as "customer friendly".

Once I remove/reinstall Arlo, I'll be back here with an update.

Have a great Memorial holiday.

For what it is worth, I'm not using a "smart phone" app. Only my desktop for Arlo. I know it isn't the computer. It is an HP with i7 quad core with 16gb memory, 1 tb harddrive.

jjtollus
Guide
Guide

I've found their Chat feature to be the best way to go for support. 

I agree that things have been buggy and they likely will get better.  The only issue I see with that, for a security system - they need to hold themselves to a higher standard.  My harmony hub had an issue with sonos volume for a month.  It was annoying as hell b/c it took several minutes to noticiably change the TV volume.  Big hassle and a lot of people were really unhappy, but that's an entertainment device, not something that we've all invested in to keep our homes and our children secure.

Given the purpose of these systems, the quality control on their updates to the app and their backend cloud should be held to a higher standard.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Tried that. No good. No agents available or wrong time.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Ok everyone. I said in one of my previous posts that I would remove all devices and then reinstall Arlo just like it was the 1st time after I received the system. Did just that today (05/26)

Removed all cameras and base. Re-installed the base, fully charged and sync'd and replaced all cameras.

Here's what I ended-up with. It's also what I sent to Kristel in Support about 5 minutes ago.

Well, I guess I'm back at square one.
I finally got everything back up and working. I just received an email that says Arlo has detected motion 14 times on cameras 1 and 3. Really don't know why because I set-up a schedule for the cameras to turn on at 9 P.M.,  and turn off at 6 A.M. all 7 days.
The detected motion times range from 2:22 P.M. to 3:14 P.M. 05/26 (Saturday).
When I open the email and click on any of the detected motions what opens is a picture on the right under the Title Shared Media. Don't know about that. I haven't made a selection to share anything with anyone. Then when I click on Click Here to see what's happening all I get is a white or black screen, no video.
If I go to my account, all the videos are there with a picture on each one shhowing what the camera sees. When I click on any of the videos, all I get is a black screen with "loading" barely visible in the background.
I hate to say this, but right now I'm ready to throw everything in the trash, and "bite the bullet", accept a $600.00 loss and start shopping for a system that is guaranteed to work. So far, I've been chasing problems going on two weeks and nothing is working.

Unquote.

I also stated that if I don't get a solution to solve all the problems I will trash the system and shop for something else that is guaranted to work as it's intended. I am not going to be like the "dog chasing its tail" with me tryng various things that don't correct all problems on the 1st try.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks for your indulgence on my problems.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Well, I'm back with what may be my final post/update on this matter.

After several emails to support, and replies from Kristel, I have the system set-up with a schedule.

Thought I had everything fixed. Not happening. This morning, 05/28, all cameras are recording when they are supposed to be off-line until later in the evening. Just about done with Arlo and Netgear. I'm waiting for a response from support on why my cameras are not following the schedule I set-up.

Here is the response I sent to Kristel (which I think is just an automated system - never get anything from anyone else) in response to her email to let support know if the system is still not working.

Quote: Well, all cameras are working except they are still ignoring the schedule I set-up per your instructions.
1st mode - All cameras are set to come on-line at 9 P.M. and go off-line at 12:00 P.M.
2nd mode - All cameras are set to come on-line at 12:00 A.M. and go off-line at 6 A.M.
This morning, 05/28 I received email notification of motion detection on all three cameras. First detection was at 6:04 A.M. and last at 6:18 A.M.
Based on that, I'm assuming the cameras will be detecting motion 24/7 unless I take them off-line.
What is your next move to make this system operate correctly?
My patience is wearing thin right now.
Thank you Unquote

I will make one more update on this and it will be to say either all problems fixed or Arlo/Netgear in the trash.

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Khone wrote:
1st mode - All cameras are set to come on-line at 9 P.M. and go off-line at 12:00 P.M.
2nd mode - All cameras are set to come on-line at 12:00 A.M. and go off-line at 6 A.M.
The correct way to set up scheduling from 9:00PM to 6:AM is as follows:
1st mode > active from 9:00PM to 11:59PM
2nd mode > active from 12:00AM to 6:00AM
You have your 1st mode from 9PM to 12PM. Unless that's a typo on your part, 12 PM will just create a conflict.
Also Arlo is currently experiencing problems with the scheduling mode since the 2.5.0 App update.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks wireless.

I'm sure it was a typo but, to be on the safe side, I went in and changed the times.

I set it up the way Support told me to do it.

Will let you know if they continue to record 24 hrs a day.

EyesandEars
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bes sure to check your time zone. 

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks EyesandEars.

Time zone is correct - PDT

I believe, after almost 3 weeks, I finally got things right. Want to check over the next 2-3 days to be sure.

If so, I will try and close this post out as solved.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation