Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is this camera suitable for out buildings?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
68bucks
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking for a security camera system for my home/ property and came across the Arlo line. I was wondering if these cameras have to connect to the base station to function or just to my WiFi network? I have a shop that is 400 feet from the house and I would also like a camera that will monitor my driveway entry that is closer to 500' from the house. I am building out a wireless network that will cover a large area of my property so getting WiFi to those areas isn't a problem.   

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro2 cameras ONLY connect to a base unit ( they set up their own wifi network ) and not a regular wifi router network.

If you are going to have a wifi network and the cameras are inside, then the Q camera will work for you really well.

Or you can use a wifi extender with an ethernet port ( hook the extender into your own wifi ) and plug the base unit into that

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
68bucks
Aspirant
Aspirant
These cameras will all be outdoors. What is the range of the base unit? Is it possible to have 2 base units? I could possibly out a second base in the out building to reach the driveway camera.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Basic level of service ( free) allows up to 5 cameras total....

but, there is no limit on number of bases.

( multi bases is the only true way to expand coverage area )

So , yes you could run 2 bases and link the closest cameras to each. Max range is listed as 300 ft like normal wifi, but in real world more like 150 ft. for straight clear shot.  Less if the signal travels thru walls, etc

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation