Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Wrm13
Follower
Follower
Is the arlo pro2 camera compatible with the smart hub supplied by the arlo pro3 kit ?
8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wrm13 wrote:
Is the arlo pro2 camera compatible with the smart hub supplied by the arlo pro3 kit ?

Yes.  But one thing to be aware of is that the new smart hubs don't have a siren built in.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

True. New hubs lack sirens, but you can keep your old hub and connect it to your pro3 hub and use that as a siren.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

but you can keep your old hub and connect it to your pro3 hub and use that as a siren.

Did you mean connect the pro3 camera to the old hub?

If so, it is important to check for compatibility: https://kb.arlo.com/000062253/Is-Arlo-Pro-3-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system

FWIW, you can also just continue to use your current hub with your existing cameras, and use the new one just for the pro3 cameras.

Dennis_Edwards
Tutor
Tutor
Bump...
So what's the advice here? Should you reconnect the Pro 2 cameras with the Pro 3 SmartHub, and recreate all settings in the Pro 3 (assuming you want the new Pro 3 cameras to have the same settings as the Pro 2) or leave them connected to the Pro 2 hub and manage duplicate settings across both hubs?

Note that I don't use the siren (too many false positives!)
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Dennis_Edwards wrote:

So what's the advice here?

See above?

Or start a new discussion that covers your issue.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Dennis_Edwards
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the quick response but I don't see the advice. I see some great facts about what you can or could do, but I'm interested in the advice of people that have actually done it.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dennis_Edwards wrote:
Thanks for the quick response but I don't see the advice. I see some great facts about what you can or could do, but I'm interested in the advice of people that have actually done it.

There's no hard and fast rule here. 

Personally I am using two Ultra VMB5000 smarthubs with my Pro2 cameras.  The Pro-3 smarthub (VMB4540) also works fine.

In addition to the siren, another consideration is the overall placement of your cameras.  If you aren't getting enough range from a single base, then you should use both (putting them in different parts of the house).

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Without knowing what @Dennis_Edwards wants to know about, this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions.

I chip in to add that you can use the VMB4000 hub as a standalone siren without attaching any cameras to it. You can still cross trigger between hubs.

Camera A on Hub A can trigger the siren on Hub B, the VMB4000.

My system has Pro 2, Ultra and Pro 3 cameras on a VMB4540 hub.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation