Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Invalid message syntax - Using USB - when formatting or enabling local recording. See screenshot.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
SamTutor
Tutor
Tutor

I am getting "invalid message syntax" error whenever I try to do anything on the USB drive. Either formatting or trying to enable local recording. I get this error as long as I am dealing with the USB drive.
I have tried 3 different USB drives now. Same error message.

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SamTutor wrote:
I am getting "invalid message syntax" error whenever I try to do anything on the USB drive. Either formatting or trying to enable local recording. I get this error as long as I am dealing with the USB drive.
I have tried 3 different USB drives now. Same error message.

What app version are you using?  Also is it the Android app or the iOS app?

Tns67
Aspirant
Aspirant
Starting a new thread on this topic. The previous thread is closed and no solution seems to have ever been found. In short, my overwrite function for an external USB drive has never worked and now I get a "message syntax" error when trying to enable it. Has anyone found a solution to this bug?
SamTutor
Tutor
Tutor
App version is 2.12.3_27015
Android App
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi SamTutor and Tns67,

Have you tried restarting your Android device and reinstalling the Arlo app to see if that helps?

Tns67
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, I just uninstalled the Android app and reinstalled it. No change. Using a OnePlus 7Pro running Android 10. I have 6 Arlo Pro 2 cameras installed and a 128GB thumb drive connected. Over the past couple years I've never successfully had the thumb drive overwrite once it reaches capacity. I was hoping this had finally been resolved but I guess not.
Screenshot_20200120-150846.jpg
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest to contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

zfowler_uno
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue.
After toggling off the overwrite setting, I can no longer change USB options and the USB drive no longer registers itself correctly.

Attached error occurs when attempting to toggle on the overwrite setting and the Record locally setting.

Base station vmb4000r3
App version 2.12.3_27015 (1/7/2020)
Running on Pixel XL with Android 10
Tns67
Aspirant
Aspirant
We'll see if this works long term, but I reformatted my 128GB thumb drive using a windows 10 computer to the default exFAT format. Then plugged the thumb drive into the arlo Pro 2 base station. From there I reformatted the thumb drive using the Android app and all seems to be working now. Time will tell if the overwrite function actually works but I am no longer getting the invalid syntax message error any more.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation