Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Install software on PC and/or Android? Can software run simultaneously? Can speaker be disconnected?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
John2000
Follower
Follower

I am interested in the Arlo 2 camera system. We have a security system with 8 cameras but none out by the road 100 feet away from the house. There is no power there and running an ehternet cable would be extremely hard. So Arlo 2 looks like the answer. 

We have our original security system monitoring software (TrueVision navigator 6) installed on my wifes android tablet and also on my Dell Win 10 tower.

We do not own smart phones.

Question 1:

Can we install whatever software manages the pair of Arlo 2 camers and base station on a PC and or an android tablet?

Can they both ( PC and or android tablet ) run simultaneously  monitoring either Arlo 2 cameras ?

Question 2:

I believe I read that the Arlo pro 2 cameras have an audible alarm.  I would imagine that feature could be shut off. We really have no interest in the audible alarm and am more concerned that it will go off inadvertently in spite of it being disabled. Is this a valid concern as again I don't want it going off on its own. Can the speaker be disconnected.

Question 3:

Will the cameras xmit their signal 100 feet to the base?

Thanks for your help with these questions.

John C

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@John2000 wrote:

Question 1:

Can we install whatever software manages the pair of Arlo 2 camers and base station on a PC and or an android tablet?

Can they both ( PC and or android tablet ) run simultaneously  monitoring either Arlo 2 cameras ?

There's an app for mobile devices like the tablet and a website for a PC used for controlling the system. Both can be used simultaneously as long as the primary user (the one who set up the system) grants access to the other person's email address so different credentials are used. Use of only one account will kick the person off the other device.

Question 2:

I believe I read that the Arlo pro 2 cameras have an audible alarm.  I would imagine that feature could be shut off. We really have no interest in the audible alarm and am more concerned that it will go off inadvertently in spite of it being disabled. Is this a valid concern as again I don't want it going off on its own. Can the speaker be disconnected.

The alarm only sounds if you've configured the system to sound it. It won't go off on its own. The only way for this to happen is to manually hit the alarm icon and allow it to go off. If you're really that clumsy ( 🙂 ) you could somehow open the base's case and clip a wire. Of course, that would void the warranty.

Question 3:

Will the cameras xmit their signal 100 feet to the base?

That depends on a ton of things. The construction of the house, the number of walls the signal must pass through, any metallic objects in or on the walls, etc. all gets in there. You can position the base at the front of the house to minimize both the distance and number of walls to maximize the signal strength. You can also use multiple bases with no issues if the positioning of one for the front causes weak signal to the others. It's WiFi and anything that affects that 2.4GHz signal can be an issue. Testing would be needed to determine if it's good enough for your uses.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation