Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Run AC power to use activity zones with no subscription?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
prschmn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Amazingly after discontinuing my $10 a month subscription I have to run AC power to use activity zones?

Smacks of greediness to me. Makes no sense otherwise to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@prschmn wrote:

Amazingly after discontinuing my $10 a month subscription I have to run AC power to use activity zones?

When you are on AC power, the camera itself can do the pixel processing.  But that requires too much power to be done on battery.  So when running on battery, every time motion is detected the video is streamed to the Arlo cloud.  The Arlo cloud then needs to decode that video and do the pixel processing needed to see if motion is inside the zone or not.

This cloud processing does cost Arlo money, and they've chosen to only offer it with a paid subscription. There is nothing new here, it's been this way for a long time. FWIW, the alternative would be for paid subscribers to subsidize your processing costs so you can get a free ride.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@prschmn wrote:

When you are on AC power, the camera itself can do the pixel processing.  But that requires too much power to be done on battery.  So when running on battery, every time motion is detected the video is streamed to the Arlo cloud.  The Arlo cloud then needs to decode that video and do the pixel processing needed to see if motion is inside the zone or not.

This cloud processing does cost Arlo money, and they've chosen to only offer it with a paid subscription. There is nothing new here, it's been this way for a long time. FWIW, the alternative would be for paid subscribers to subsidize your processing costs so you can get a free ride.

prschmn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ahh OK thank you. I certainly don't expect a "free ride"

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Buy AC adapters. I did. Saves you lots of money in the long run and you no longer need to climb up and down on chairs or ladders to swap out batteries all the time. Its win win as far as I see it.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation