Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I Have A Few Questions About The Arlo Cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gpuckett
Follower
Follower

1) I am trying to understand how these work.  Does the motion detection cause the video to record? And then for a duration of time the user selects?

2) Then does it upload and I view it from there?  And/or view if from the USB storage if I have added that?

3) Then I log in to the "cloud" and view it?  Can I view what is on the USB storage by logging in through the cloud or must I view this by a different method?

4) Does the USB storage cause the system to draw more power?

5) Can I log in real time and view the cameras for real time streaming?

Thanks,

Greg

1 REPLY 1
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Hi
1. Yes. The cameras contain a PIR motion detector which causes the cameras to record. The duration is by default "until activity stops" but you can manually select a recording time between 10-120 seconds if you prefer. You should read the FAQs and user manual to familiarize yourself with setting up the modes and rules
2. It is immediately uploaded to the Arlo cloud storage and simultaneously recorded to the USB drive (if one is installed)
3. You view the cloud recordings via the app or web interface. To view the USB drive contents, you must eject the drive from the base station and insert it into a computer to view with VLC player
4. I'd expect a USB backup storage device to use incrementally more power but it'd be negligible

5. Yes, you can live stream up to 5 cameras at once. Be aware that while you are live streaming, the PIR motion sensor is deactivated and to have a recording, you will need to manually push the record button. Spending a lot of time manually streaming will use up the battery quickly though if your Pro 2 cameras are AC powered or even solar panel powered, it shouldn't cause too much of an issue 

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation