Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
GeraldSoukup
Follower
Follower

I get this message every time I log in but the battery stays fully charged,"charging fault has been detected on Tree-52M17C7SAD331 camera. Unplug and reconnect the charger from the camera side of the plug. If this error message persists, see KB article for Charging Faults." If that is true the battery should be dead by now.

58 REPLIES 58
brh
Master
Master

@GeraldSoukup

Check the battery icon in the Device view of the camera both in the app and in your account on your PC then let us know what that is showing.

If the Battery icon shows differently on the computer than on the app, remove the app and reinstall it.

If it is showing wrong on both, remove the battery in the camera and reinser it to see if that resets the camera to normal.

Thirdly, you could power off the base station for about 30 seconds then power it up again until it reboots.

Brian

forlando
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem: getting message of a charging fault. I do have the same message showing on my computer as well as on the phone app. I have tried disconnecting the charging cable from the camera side. I also removed the battery and re-inserted it and I powered off the base station for over 30 seconds and turned it back on. This issue persists. Please help.

brh
Master
Master

@forlando

Is the battery actually losing its charge?

Are you using the original Arlo Power adapter and cable?

Brian

forlando
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not sure if the battery is being charged. It's showing 94% 2 days after the error message appeared. I am using the original cord and charger. I will try removing battery again and leave it out longer. Any other advise would be appreaciated. Thanks for the support.

brh
Master
Master

@forlando

When your device is plugged in and charging, the battery icon for that camera in the Devices should an icon with a lightning bolt inside. When you click on the gear icon above the camera you should see the same icon with the lightning bolt and it should show how much the battery is charged. You can watch to see if the battery level is going up to a higher percentage until fully charged.

If the camera is not plugged in, (battery only) outside, 94% after two days is about normal. If it is plugged in to power, that is probably low. It just depends on how much you leave the camera in the Armed state and how many notifications you are receiving.

I am suspecting the power adapter or cable connectors are giving you this message.

Brian

forlando
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just verified there is power where the charger is plugged in. Then I tried plugging the cable into another device that takes a micro USB plug and that device indicated it was charging. I removed the camera battery for a couple of minutes and reinstalled it and plugged the charger back in. I'm still getting the error message and the battery icon does not show the lightening bolt. Charge level is now at 92% and hasn't increased in the 15 minutes since I reconnected it. I'm stumped.
brh
Master
Master

@forlando

Most chargers for mobile phones, etc. only support a 5 volt output. The Arlo charger is using dual voltage Qualcom Quick Charge hardware meaning that the camera needs 5 volts for operation and 9 volts for charging. If you are indeed using the Arlo charger, then it is defective. It is supplying the 5 volts, but the 9 volts for charging is missing.

Brian

forlando
Aspirant
Aspirant

As an addendum to my last post: The charging fault error message is ongoing but my charge level on re-logging in is back up to 94%. So maybe I am charging. I can handle the error message (if I try hard) if it's really charging.

forlando
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help. If I do have a bad charger, I guess I'll be researching how I might get a replacement under warranty. I just bought this last camera a base station about 6 weeks ago. Thank you again for your help.

amdz
Tutor
Tutor

Same error. I am charing my camera with the included cable and charger. I have used the same charger in the past with no issues. 

Attempted the following:

1. remove and reinsert battery, then charge

2. reset base station

3. turn off, remove from power source, then restart base station.

4. removed battery with #3. After base station lights were all back on, reinserted battery, and then plugged in to charge. 

The issue seems to be with arlo. They either need to submit a firmware update, or provide replacement camers. This is unacceptable. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

amdz,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Grandlady
Aspirant
Aspirant

We found that using a plug with a GFI was not usable for charging our cameras.

@forlando wrote:
I just verified there is power where the charger is plugged in. Then I tried plugging the cable into another device that takes a micro USB plug and that device indicated it was charging. I removed the camera battery for a couple of minutes and reinstalled it and plugged the charger back in. I'm still getting the error message and the battery icon does not show the lightening bolt. Charge level is now at 92% and hasn't increased in the 15 minutes since I reconnected it. I'm stumped.

amdz
Tutor
Tutor
Is the incompatibility with GFI a new update? I have used the same outlet since I had the cameras without any issues.

I still can't get my battery to charge. It blinks amber once, twice, when I try charging it.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I just tested a GFCI outlet with both a camera as well as the external charging tube. Both worked as designed. Sounds like there's a problem with that outlet or charger.

For the battery not charging, it's possible it's fully depleted and needs the procedure to bring it back to life. There's an FAQ here on how to do that. I haven't had the need to do so since I don't allow my batteries to get much below 15% or so.

amdz
Tutor
Tutor
The solution would be to return the system.
Filipegusma
Initiate
Initiate
Unacceptable a camera device that doesn’t charge (the technical reason really doesn’t matter). Netgear is a JK. Reset everything to see if it’s gonna work???? JK JK JK shame on you guys!!
Filipegusma
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo, pls do not make your costumers go trough the hassle of guessing what's wrong with my camera. This is lame. 

garyagill
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get the same message.  The battery stays fully charged and the camera seems to be operating normally.  I tried unplugging from the camera side and initially the charging seems normal.  However after a few hours the error message returns.  Anybody have suggestions?

greengoguma
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had the same issue. My camera was offline for a while and won't charge. I initially though it was the battery problem but found out that it's a camera's after swithing the battery with the working one. Contacted customer service via online chat and processed me through RMA. I suggest you do the same as well. Also Arlo comes with 1 year warranty and 3 month support from what I gather from Google.

Good luck.

tBronX
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue.  I had a outlet installed outdoors that had two USB ports directly on it with 2 normal outlets as well in thoughts that I could plug my Arlo Pro 2 directly into the USB ports.  Any time I plugged it in outlets USB ports I'd get the "Charging Fault" error.  If used the same USB port, same cord, I could charge my phone without a problem.  Ruling out the port and cord as a problem.  I then used a USB adapter, took the same cord and plugged it into a normal outlet and the "Charging Fault" error went away on my Arlo Pro 2.  This is a short coming with the Arlo product, it looks like it cannot be plugged in directly to a USB outlet.

Arlo Support - Any thoughts on this??

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

This is a firmware/App bug issue that the talented Arlo Engineers put in place intended to minimize the use of 3rd party cable/adapter.. It obviously didn't work coz it's also affecting their own cable/adapter.. I use their original cable/adapter without battery inside and I get this error once in awhile when rebooting the system.. Never got this ridiculous error before until early March after the big disaster when their system was down and the release of App update... Not to mention right now, we have to also deal with their worthless recent updates that's crippling our system.. Who knows when it will be back to a working condition..  Seriously.. this company is very frustrating to deal with.. It's not the Arlo itself.. It's the incompetent people working behind it.. Done venting.. 

forlando
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo Pro charger is a combination 9v/5v unit. Many generic USB chargers are just 5v. Maybe that's the case with your outlet.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@forlando wrote:

The Arlo Pro charger is a combination 9v/5v unit. Many generic USB chargers are just 5v. Maybe that's the case with your outlet.

Past experience, and messages here, have confirmed that a standard five-volt USB charger works just fine when charging Arlo cameras.

It is simply wrong to say that "the camera needs 5 volts for operation and 9 volts for charging".

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, the P2 will charge on many (most? all?) 5v chargers but the P1 will not nor will the external charging station. Dunno why this is...