Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I limit the angle of detection?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
zdc
Follower
Follower

I would like to limit the field of view of the Arlo Pro 2. It seems as though my only choice is to plug in the device. Since it is outside on a soffit, this is somewhat inconvenient. I wonder if there is a hood of some sort that I could snap onto the Arlo.

My problem is that, even with the lowest sensitivity, every leaf that blow - actually any smallest thing moving triggers the recording. This results in hundreds of recordings and a battery that lasts 24 hours. I somehow need to cut down the field of view. Any suggestions??

By the way, all of the triggered night recordings show black. So that is somewhat useless.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zdc wrote:

By the way, all of the triggered night recordings show black. So that is somewhat useless.

How far away is the camera from the stuff in the field of view?  

Is there a skin on the camera?

@zdc wrote:

My problem is that, even with the lowest sensitivity, every leaf that blow - actually any smallest thing moving triggers the recording. This results in hundreds of recordings and a battery that lasts 24 hours. I somehow need to cut down the field of view. Any suggestions??

Can you post a screenshot? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@zdc wrote:

I would like to limit the field of view of the Arlo Pro 2. It seems as though my only choice is to plug in the device. Since it is outside on a soffit, this is somewhat inconvenient. I wonder if there is a hood of some sort that I could snap onto the Arlo.

The PIR sensors can't be reduced in view. The original wirefree camera had a single PIR that was easily seen which allowed me to use a small piece of tape to create a mask. The dual PIRs in the Pro series and their cover isn't as easily masked - I didn't pursue it.

Make sure you're changing motion sensitivity in your modes and rules, not the motion detection test, which just gives you a number to plug into your rules.  The proper solutions are to position the camera to eliminate as much area that isn't really of concern so leaves/branches/cars/etc. don't create false triggers as well as reducing sensitivity during the day. Many of us use custom modes with lower sensitivity settings for the day and crank them back up at night, using the schedule to automate the switching.  Remember that the sun's IR gets reflected by many objects giving you false triggers. This effect happens differently during the seasons due to the sun's angle.

And, yes, post a screenshot of the camera's view, both daytime and night, for suggestions. ALso, make sure Night Vision is enabled.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation