Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JustAnElf2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Someone recently told me that when the Arlo Pro 2 is connected to power it constantly streams back the video into the cloud.  This is how it's able to do the 3 second looback, and some of the other features it offers.

Is this really true?  If it is, how much data is it passing back per month?  I ask because I would like to add 10 of these things to my property and I don't want it to consume a lot of unnecessary bandwidth.

2 REPLIES 2
shaolin95
Apprentice
Apprentice

I want to know this too and if that is the case, if using a USB flash can limit that usage. That is one of the reasons I did not go with a NEST since I use a lot of data at home and the stupid 1TB cap by comcast is always very close.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have data to support firm conclusions but a camera set for 1080p may consume ~1.5Mbps on average - could be more or less. Streaming obviously has an effect so I would NOT enable AC power on such an account.

As a test long ago, I captured a video stream on Arlo for a bit over an hour. I believe I ended up with a 1.5-2GB file.

And, no, the USB drive only captures recordings that you would find in the library.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation