Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation
fsp
Follower
Follower

Has anyone figured out how to connect Arlo pro 2 to a starlink router?

16 REPLIES 16
Dannybear
Master
Master
skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant

It just won't work with Starlink's router. I had to use another router bypassing (mode) the Starlink router. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

So who purchased the square dish version with the outdoor router modem, I read that no Ethernet port is available to make it weather proof. The article suggest you use a wifi Ethernet adapter but no idea that this works for arlo.  

Dannybear
Master
Master

Just to add that they do offer a Ethernet in-line adapter for the square dish version which has back order delays.

Looks like you loose starlink app access once you bypass it.

When enabling Bypass Mode, All Wireless Features will be disabled on the Starlink Terminal. A factory reset is required if you want to switch back to router mode.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

The article suggest you use a wifi Ethernet adapter but no idea that this works for arlo.  

There's no reason that the WiFi extender wouldn't work for allowing the base/hub to be connected. Whether the router itself allows the access needed would have to be discussed with Starlink folks.

skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • Exactly! No reason that I can think of. Yet this is the case and the frustration. I have the rectangular dish.  My base plugs into the WiFi extender and all is good, for a few days. Then the base goes offline. Power cycling works to restore connection then a few days later it goes offline. Eventually power cycling fails to temporarily restore the base connection. Scratching my head as to why the intermittent failure with subsequent consistent failure to connect. Does it have something to do with proximity; the base and router being on the same shelf? That would be unusual. Another user reported having to move the base away from the router. Not a good option for me so I'm using the "run in bypass" with my own router which seems to be working. But I'm a pragmatist. It works now. Anyone out there with a base plugged into the extender please chime in. I suspect there is none working in this configuration. And it is correct that in bypass mode the Starlink app is useless (and not needed if everything is working).
Dannybear
Master
Master

Arlo recommendation is 10ft between base station and another wifi router modem unit.

I believe this is recommended to minimise overload of the wifi receiver circuits which impacts the camera or mobile device operating range, it should not impact the base station Ethernet reliability unless it is poor router design by starlink. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

Arlo recommendation is 10ft between base station and another wifi router modem unit.

They say that for cameras, but not so clearly for base stations.  Though it's logical that the same distance should apply to both, they ship the base station with a 6 ft ethernet cable.

@Dannybear wrote:

I believe this is recommended to minimise overload of the wifi receiver circuits which impacts the camera or mobile device operating range, it should not impact the base station Ethernet reliability unless it is poor router design by starlink. 

I agree, adding that overload you are talking about affects both the camera and the base station wifi receiver circuits.  The base station wifi could also overload the router's wifi receiver circuitry.

Not sure that is the issue wifh Starlink though, we see a lot of posts here from folks having problems with Starlink networks.

Juxtajenny
Aspirant
Aspirant

once I got the Starlink extender cable, I factory reset my base station and started from scratch adding it as a new device on my arlo app, connecting to Starlink WiFi. Took a couple of attempts to find device and is now all working fine.

ksarm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seriously after two days or so...

(in order for this to FINALLY work I had to disconnect my google assistant)

1. Got to split starlink to 2.4 since arlo requires 2.4ghz. (settings - advanced - split 2.4 / 5 ghz networks)

2. Connect to your 2.4 starlink wifi on device you are using to set up your arlo system.

3. Follow all the arlo prescribed directions in the arlo secure app for adding base, cameras, etc.

chippypark1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did the 2.4g wifi split on Starlink app and still cannot get these arlo cameras to connect. I have two Arlo Pro 3 cameras and have had problems getting them to connect (and stay connected) from the outset.  This is with multiple internet providers (Comcast, Emery Telcom, (not just Starlink)).  As a result, I have two non-functional cameras and no idea what to try next.  Any other ideas or success stories with the Starlink wifi would be welcome.  

Purchase price + hours and hours invested trying to get functionality-  these cameras have been among the most problematic tech devices I have ever owned.

ksarm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I use the starlink ethernet adapter ($25) to attach starlink router to my old router and attach the arlo base to the old router. Works fine now.

GSDK9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

After hours of work and multiple devices I've finally got it working.  I purchased a cheap wifi extender with an ethernet port.  Connected the Arlo hub to the extender and voila!  It is working like a dream.  Been working consistently for a week now.  

Nolanjf
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, doesn't work.

Since starlink is my only option, I am co sidering a new security system

skw10acres
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had to disable wifi on the Starlink modem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nolanjf wrote:

No, doesn't work.

Using an extender (connecting ethernet out to the base station) will certainly work if you set up the extender correctly.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation