Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

I'm able to view the live stream on my PC in Firefox and Chrome whenever I'm NOT on my company's network, so I know something within the live view frame is being blocked in the network.  As soon as I leave my company's network, live stream on the same PC works just fine. 

I haven't been able to find anywhere documented what ports/activity live view uses in order to tell them what to specifically unblock.  For those who have any insight and are planning on responding, please:

1. Don't tell me to download the latest firmware for my cameras/base station

2. Don't tell me to reboot anything

3. Don't discuss anything mobile device related

6 REPLIES 6
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@sangwinacher wrote:

I'm able to view the live stream on my PC in Firefox and Chrome whenever I'm NOT on my company's network, so I know something within the live view frame is being blocked in the network.  As soon as I leave my company's network, live stream on the same PC works just fine. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but your description sounds self-contradictory.  "I'm able to view the live stream ... whenever I'm NOT on my company's network." "As soon as I leave my company's, network live stream ... works just fine."

When you leave your company's nework, aren't you then "NOT on your company's network?"

Please clarify this point. Also please clarify where your client device and basestation are located when things don't work.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

My wording is correct... whenever I'm on my company's network the connection fails in the browser.  Whenever I'm not on the company's network, it streams just fine in the browser.  Not sure how much more clear to make it.  The only delta is that I'm on my company's network when I have the problem.

Base station and cameras are at my house (obviously).  Company network is... at my company, not at my house.  PC plugged into company network, live stream no worky.  Drive home or anywhere else which allows that streaming traffic, worky. 

I'm looking specifically for what at a technological level I need to tell IT to unblock.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

I see.  Your wording about leaving the network and it then working was confusing to me.

Read this article.  Ports 443 and 80.  Works fine on my corporate network and it's pretty locked down.

https://kb.arlo.com/000039099/Why-can-t-I-see-Arlo-video-streams-from-a-web-browser

You probably need to check with your IT staff to see what they block. They could block based on content.  Maybe they are specifically blocking streaming video.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary
Thanks... I have a feeling it's more along the lines of the content. Weird how they allow Netflix and YouTube but not this 🙂
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@sangwinacher wrote:
Weird how they allow Netflix and YouTube but not this 🙂

Different domain names and IP addresses.

Corporates can be very picky about what the workers can look at.

Maybe they have a "whitelist" approach for video stuff and it doesn't include https://arlo.netgear.com

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

So, after doing network captures and various troublshooting with IT at my company, we figured out what the issue is.  Arlo's implementation of Adobe Flash browser plugin for PC, the "live view" is sending an encrypted (HTTPS port 443) video stream  over non-secure HTTP port 80.  My company's proxy blocks situations like this.  If an application uses port 80, it's expected to use port 80 all the way through, not use 443 over port 80.  

This seems like a poor design.  Arlo -

1. Why is this done?

2. How can we request this behavior be changed to use HTTPS port 443 all the way through?

Side note: The Android app's "live view" streams perfectly fine on my company's WiFi network because the app is likely designed totally differently and doesn't mix secure traffic over a non-secure port.   

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation