Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Babarage
Tutor
Tutor
I had geofencing working just fine on my iPhone 8: enabling the motion detection of the cameras when I leave the area and disabling this when I come home. It is the only telephone I have this set up for. I changed the name of the iPhone to myname8 so no odd characters there. I removed the app from the phone and reinstalled it. The option “location in/out notifications” is turned on so I will get the message when entering or leaving the zone but the cameras aren’t turned on.

Don’t know what happened to have it stop working. Had to reboot the base station last week because the cameras went offline and wouldn’t come back online. , not sure if it stopped working right after that or not.

What else can I try?
16 REPLIES 16
VicThor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had this same problem for about 2 weeks now. Geofencing just doesn't work. I contacted support multiple times and finally today 3/26, they tell me "Please know that it is a current issue and we are already aware on it." and "As of the moment we do not have the information yet to when it will be resolved. We will send you email once the issue is resolved. Also, it will be posted on community.arlo.com."

It's disappointing that it seems they've known about it yet haven't notified their users that this feature is not working. 

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
If you are using iPhones, try the ifttt and life 360 apps for arming and disarming Arlo via geofence. I find it equal or superior to arlo’s native geofencing.
Guinness835
Star
Star

The IFTTT does work well when entering/leaving. The problem I had using it is it will not arm when you are home with scheduling like the prior Geofencing before it went down. I forgot a few nights to manually arm the system while using IFTTT so I effectively had no motion coverage overnight.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
There is a clock/schedule trigger in ifttt, that can launch an “arm arlo at night”, correct?
Guinness835
Star
Star
You are correct, I didn’t know about that applet! Thanks!
Babarage
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the ifttt suggestion. Worth a try, at least till netgear gets its act together.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
And if you have a family with multiple smart phones, try out life360. It has a nice “first person in” and “last person out” trigger for ifttt which arms and disarms arlo.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I just received this from Netgear:

“Recently, we received some reports with Geofencing issues but please be informed that we just received an update from the Engineering team that this should have been fixed already with the latest Arlo cloud release. Kindly check/observe your Arlo system using Geofencing mode and give me an update. “
Guinness835
Star
Star
My last update shows it was March 4th and I checked for updates and it says there are none available. It’s still broken and not working.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
A new version of Arlo is available in the App Store.
Babarage
Tutor
Tutor
Wow! It looks like it is working again!
DCrusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well the latest IOS update DID NOT fix Geofencing it’s just as screwed up after the last update so I guess I have to find another alternative for geofencing.    Right now my SmartThings hub is working better than my Arlo system.  Far less messing with it     than I have to close this turn that off turn that back on reopen Arlo mess with location services then it finally sees that I’m at home WOW.    But I do like getting video of myself walking in to house thinking is my ass real that big.        Before the IOS 2.4.7 everything worked like a champ never had to mess with it at all.          SO I GUESS I’M BACK TO A SCHEDULE UNTIL THEY GET IT FIXED.    Better yet go back to 2.4.6 and don’t mess with it.  

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yep geofencing still busted. Works for my iPhone but not for my wife’s. It did work before the early March update, for both phones. Back to life360 and ifttt.
Babarage
Tutor
Tutor
Well it was fun while it lasted. Today it stopped working again. Sigh.
DCrusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

K.  All my issue have disappeared.   I’ve watched it for a week now and it has worked like a champ again.    I’m so happy not jacking with it.         Okay let’s go over the user that are having the same problem.     I’m running 2 iPhones one a 6 Plus and one a 7 and it was working great.    Yesterday I changed from a iPhone 6 Plus to a iPhone X and let it be and it still worked flawless today.     So yes I’m VERY HAPPY!      I hope this can help others.    

oddoneout
Guide
Guide

Hi there

Just read your post, and have made a post of my own on the same matter this morning.

Geofoencing doesn't work for two devices - it should, but Arlo have said that it doesn't and their 'Engineers' are looking in to it (since the beginning of 2017 at least with no progress!):

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Geofencing-DOES-NOT-WORK-FOR-MULTIPLE-PEOPLE-DEVICES/m-p/1638735#...

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation