Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
WAJ_oz
Tutor
Tutor

after installing the new app on both devices, and set to Geofencing, even when both devices are stated as being "in zone", it sets to Away mode and starts triggering motion detection alerts. With old app use to be able to toggle to Disarm then back to Geofencing and would stay in Home mode. Now not the case. Always in Away mode. Very frustrating and you'd think with how much these Arlo setups cost they could get this fundamental issue correctly operating.

Have looked at the previous "solutions" of reserving Home address, but that hasn't worked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAJ_oz
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing issue solved - at least for me ....

I had to go into the map where you set the geofencing zone, moved position to an entirely different random address and then saved. Then repoint to my actual address and saved again. This worked, and has continued to work for a week no problems. The problem before was that it just didn't recognise whatever address was there at the time of the app upgrade.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just when things had settled down and started working again, this latest app update 2.9.1 has broken geofencing yet again.  The system sees my phone as "in the zone" and ARMS itself.  I have changed mode to disarm and then Geofencing and every time, it ARMS itself.  I have removed the address and phone and set up from scratch, same result.  

ARLO, YOU NOW HAVE IT WORKING BACKWARDS.....  DO YOU EVER TEST YOUR SOFTWARE EXTENSIVELY BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT?  OBVIOUSLY NOT.

SHAME SHAME SHAME.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi WAJ_oz and bmwdriver7175,

What phone device are you using? Have you updated to the latest version for the Arlo app? Have you tried rebooting your phone device? You can also look at this article to see if this article can help: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working?

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same issue here, phone is detected as in the zone and the system arms itself.  Wow!  Simply WOW, how many more times is this going be broken.  You had just fixed it and now with 2.9.1 for IOS, it's broken yet again.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you still have problems with your Geofencing not working properly,  please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Afraid I have to agree with all the sentiments about.  I have had Alro cameras for about a year and would say about 50% of that time geo fencing has worked reliably.  One update fixes it, another breaks it.  I mean there are free throwaway apps out there that do it better, and this is a very expensive camera system.  Get it together devs.  My recommendations have certainly stopped for now.

My exact scenario for debug is very basic - two phones with geo fencing AWAY=Arm and HOME=Schedule where it is armed 12-6am, disarmed all other times.  Issues are same as above, when both phones actually show ON THE MAP IN THE APP they are in the zone it still goes into AWAY mode.  iOS13 - but if that is offered as an excuse it is pathetic, been beta for 6 months.

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here's something that worked.  After I updated the latest app and removed phone(s) from geofencing and set the address again and then added the phones back in, it still detected the phone in the zone and ARMED the system.  I wasn't until I actually left the zone and let arlo detect that I truly was out of the zone and then came back into the zone ( i ran to the grocery store and back), all of a sudden it started working correctly again.  Not sure why that is, but hey if it will others, give it a try.  Hope it helps.

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks.  I actually removed everything and setup the system completely fresh on both phones and it did actually work for a day or two.  Then it just gets patchy again.  I feel there may be an iOS13 issue, which is not excuse as it's beta has been available for 6 months.  But may point to the cause better - iOS13 does seem to have a heavier privacy focus.  Perhaps the Arlo app is not doing something it needs to for long term stability.  As an aside it is hilarious when companies try and blame a new OS for their poor software performance when the beta programs are as extensive as Apples.

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why are the communities for each camera separate. No whole system board? It is maddening. Posted elsewhere....

Maybe a hint. Starting getting this message from the app after switching to the new version and iOS 13. It is nonsense, the Internet is never out on the hub or phone but perhaps it is linked to this latest failure of geo fencing. It still updates my location so no sure what the message means.

https://imgur.com/a/oqCeM3I
WAJ_oz
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Jessica, the whole point was that I/we had downloaded and installed the latest app and that the problem was occurring. Its not the other devices at fault, its Arlo's app. 

WAJ_oz
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing issue solved - at least for me ....

I had to go into the map where you set the geofencing zone, moved position to an entirely different random address and then saved. Then repoint to my actual address and saved again. This worked, and has continued to work for a week no problems. The problem before was that it just didn't recognise whatever address was there at the time of the app upgrade.

Shultzsm
Tutor
Tutor
I already responded that my issue had been resolved. I was receiving so many of these emails after the fact that I turned off the receipt of email replies in my forum account settings. Yet I’m STILL getting them. I’ll need to unsubscribe from this!!
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation