Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
pilotchip
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing sets away when I drive down the road. When I get home it sets to Home (schedule) and then one minute later sets to away again and I get alerts all night long.

10 REPLIES 10
Chrisizzle
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this problem too.

I didn't clue in that the geofencing was switching back to "away" after a time though because the system does acknowledge the initial transition to "home".

I thought the system was just sending me notifications regardless of the setting, but your diagnosis makes sense and aligns with what I am seeing too.

Glad I am not alone, but hope Arlo fixes this soon.

I will add that I had originally purchased the Arlo Pro (1) after Christmas and this did not happen. I was so impressed with the Arlo Pro that I upgraded to the Arlo Pro 2. Unfortunately, my experience with the Pro-2 has been buggy. This geofencing issue plus I have to reboot the system weekly because some setting or another stops working.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello @Chrisizzle @pilotchip

Have you tried rebooting your base station & test again? What firmware version is your base station running? Do you have any power saving modes enabled on your device?

pilotchip
Tutor
Tutor

HW Version: VMB4000r3

Firmware: 1.12.0.1_27940

Pro 2 v2.7.0

App is "Not Optimized" under Android settings.

What's the best method for power cycling, just unplug power cord?

Chrisizzle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware: 1.12.0.1_27940

I seem to need to reboot the Base Station weekly. I've tried a number of Geofencing scanrios. It basically always stays on "armed" regardless of whether anyone is home or not.

My apps are on iPhones. The app / Arlo correctly knows when people are in/out of the geofencing zone. 

No power save modes anywhere.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@pilotchip

I would suggest pressing the power button on the back of the base station. we can start with that if you have not already.

Can you also try the new Arlo Mobile App Version 2.7.1.

pilotchip
Tutor
Tutor

App version is 2.7.1_23406

Rebooting the base station and will report back after testing for a few days.

Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide
Noticed this issue today as well. When I’m home it showes status armed instead of my home setting... I was second guessing myself and asking whether or not it was supposed to show my home setting or armed. Now I know others are having the same issue.. I’m going to see if anyone has a fix.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Jdelvalle1

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide
Last time I talked to someone at support I was on hold for 45 minutes before the lady came on and told me she couldn’t help me. Then someone had to call me back 24 to 48 hours later. By that time I was already fed up with the ultra system. I tried your chat link and it just kept searching for a chat agent. Customer service really isn’t the best.
Chrisizzle
Aspirant
Aspirant

My problem is (mostly) resolved.

I was contacted by someone from Arlo tech support as a result of this forum post. We spent some time on the phone and I think we narrowed down the problems.

The first thing to try is opening the GeoFencing settings and moving your "home location" away from your actual address. Save those settings. Then, re-open the settings, properly enter your home address and save again. That seemed to solve most of my issues. (Essentially, reset your home address)

GeoFencing now works fine with me (administrator) and my phone.

All the technical issues I had reoccur when I try to add my girlfriend to Geofencing. She is not setup as an Admin and I don't know if that would make a difference. I think the overall problem is due to her phone. She is still using an iPhone 5s. For any number of possible reasons, her location occassionally shows as "unavailable" in the geofencing settings. I think that messes up the Arlo settings and it goes into "Armed" as a precaution since it doesn't know whether that person/device is home or away.

So, if you are trouble shooting, start with your most reliable device and just test geofencing with that.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation