Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofence & Schedule On 1 Camera

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ME23
Guide
Guide

I'd like my system armed 24/7 with the exception of 1 camera which I would like on at night and when I'm away, but off when I'm home during the day. Is this possible?

For context, I'm talking about the back yard camera. We have dogs and a doggie door so they're in and out during the day. So I don't want the camera going off all the time while I'm home, but I do want it armed when Im away. The dogs are kept inside at night and the doggie door is locked so I'd like the camera armed at night.

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQs here on creating custom modes. Create a custom mode with all but that one back door camera in it. FOr geofencing, use the Armed mode for Away. Set the schedule as appropriate using the Armed mode from, say, 10PM-11:59PM and again from 12AM-7AM. Use the custom mode from 7:01AM-9:59PM. Now use the schedule for the GF Home setting.

ME23
Guide
Guide

Can you point me to the FAQ? Haven't been able to find it.

Sorry,  but I'm still confused.

Here's what I have so far:

MODE SETTINGS:
** ARMED: All cameras are set to motion detection

** SCHEDULE: Set to ARMED from midnight - 8am and 8pm -11:59pm
     (Can't choose individual cameras here, it's all or nothing, so all cameras are armed over night)

** CUSTOM MODE: All but the backyard camera are set for motion detection

** GEOFENCING: Away Mode set to ARMED;  Home Mode set to......??

Geofencing is where I'm stuck. I get the Away Mode. That will automatically enable all the cameras set in the ARMED mode.

However, setting Geofencing Home Mode to CUSTOM MODE will have all the cameras on except the backyard (what I want during the day), but how is the schedule triggered? Seems with my current settings the backyard camera won't come on at 8pm unless I switch from Geofencing to Schedule mode.

ME23
Guide
Guide

OH WAIT! Maybe I'm getting this.

Changed the SCHEDULE so that from 8am - 8pm it's using CUSTOM mode which has all but the backyard camera turned on. (rest of the day is set to ARMED)

Geofencing is  set for Away = ARMED and Home = SCHEDULE

So since SCHEDULE contains CUSTOM that's how it all ties together, right?? 

Sheesh...my brain is in a cramp. I'll let it run a while and see if this is set correctly.

Thanks!

ME23
Guide
Guide

I think something is still not set right....

I'm at home so if everything is set right then the backyard camera shouldn't be detecting motion. However when I went to the Devices screen the icon shows that the backyard camera IS detecting motion.

So what setting might I have wrong??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post screenshots of your schedule and any pertinent modes and rules.

ME23
Guide
Guide

PDF with screen shots attached

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Question - when using the custom mode, do you actually get recordings from the backyard camera? If not, it's a display issue that has been around for a while. The app may show the running man as (dis)armed but is actually properly (dis)armed. You can test this by using a browser which I find works properly.

ME23
Guide
Guide

Yes, I'm getting recordings

ME23
Guide
Guide

I did notice that even though it's now 8:37 am and the system should be working in Schedule mode (because Geofencing is on and I'm at home), the system is showing Armed. I can't tell if that's because part of the system is armed in the Schedule or if it's using the Armed Mode. (I'm talking about the Mode tab in the Android app. It's showing that the system named Home is in Armed mode)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can tell by looking at your modes. Either the Armed mode or the schedule should be selected. If it's the schedule that's active, verify that the schedule is correct. You may want to use a browser to do this since I find it works better.

ME23
Guide
Guide

Like I said, it 's showing that it's Armed but I don't know if that's the mode Armed or if it's telling me that part of the system is armed (because part of the system IS armed in the schedule).

If it's saying that it's in the Armed mode than that's the problem with the back yard camera because since it's currently between 8 am & 8pm the system shoud be in Custom Mode since I'm at home right now.

ME23
Guide
Guide

Playing with it some more, if I manually change the mode to Schedule, then the base station shows that it's running the Custom Mode (appropriate for this time of day).

But when I changed it back to Geofencing it now shows Disarmed. That's not anywhere in any of my Geofencing settings!

It's almost like Geofencing isn't recognizing that I'm at home. Yes, I have my home address entered into the settings and yes, my GPS is on.

ME23
Guide
Guide

I'm double checking my Geofence settings and I'm gettin g an error that the system "failed to discover location for given address. Please set itmanually on a map."

Yes, my address is correct. Yes, Google Maps knows where it is. The house is 10 years old so I would expect any current map to have my address.

Tried setting it manually on the map but still says it failed to discover the location and asks me to type it manually.

Maybe this is why it's not changing to the Home/Schedule mode?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Possibly. Check you location services settings - maybe try different settings. The OS supplies this to the app so it could be an OS/phone issue.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation