Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Geofence Notifications

Discussion stats
AncientGeek Hero
Hero

@RSC1 wrote:
Problem solved. The zone was centered around a different neighborhood address. If I had gone to their house, it would have disarmed. I don’t know how it set that address up.

I manually changed the address to mine in geofencing. The hope is that it don’t revert.

Good to hear you solved it.  I’m pretty sure I did something like that once a long time ago.

RSC1 Guide
Guide

Except I didn't do it. It did it. I know my address and I did not enter the foreign address.

Today I had to log my wife out and back in, because it took a notion not to see her.

Seb56 Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello

I have the same problem : Arlo v2.10 (1487), geofencing notifications are disabled in iOS 13 settings, but I still receive plenty of notifications...

Please fix it !!!

Thanks

AncientGeek Hero
Hero

@Seb56 wrote:

Hello

I have the same problem : Arlo v2.10 (1487), geofencing notifications are disabled in iOS 13 settings, but I still receive plenty of notifications...

Please fix it !!!

Thanks

The notifications setting you see in Arlo Settings controls a location status notification for each base station or cameras that do not use a base station.  (Arlo Q + Q Plus, Go, etc). That notification, when turned on, will only show up when you login to the app.

You will still get iOS (or Android notifications for each of those devices when you enter or leave your geofencing zone.  Arlo software development inexplicably and irritatingly REMOVED our ability to turn off those notifications.  There was previously a setting in the geofencing mode that controlled this and allowed the users (who know their needs and system configurations) to decide which geofencing devices would send out operating system notifications.

However, you should only receive a notification when you enter or leave a geofencing zone.  You should also only receive one notification, if you only have one base station...and no other Arlo devices for which there are geofencing settings.

What iOS device(s) are you using? what Arlo products do you have associated with your Arlo mobile app?  All of this is necessary information for Arlo to even attempt to diagnose the issue, assuming they were inclined to do so.

i have multiple base stations and several Arlo Q family cameras at my locations, so I get a geofencing notification for each of those every time I enter and exit.  At one location that means I get six notifications every time I enter or leave my geofencing perimeter.  Before the new app was forced on us, I had control over this.  I could disable notifications for five of those six devices, but not now.  The folks in the conference room decided I didn’t need or deserve that control for some reason.

Seb56 Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

My device is iPhone 11 Pro, with iOS 13.1.3

I have one base VMB3010 with 3 Arlo camera from november 2016.

Each time I leave or come back homen or when I drive near my house, I got those f*** unwanted geofencing notifications, on my device and on my iWatch.

I went to settings, Arlo, notifications are already disabled...

AncientGeek Hero
Hero

@Seb56 wrote:

Hi,

My device is iPhone 11 Pro, with iOS 13.1.3

I have one base VMB3010 with 3 Arlo camera from november 2016.

Each time I leave or come back homen or when I drive near my house, I got those f*** unwanted geofencing notifications, on my device and on my iWatch.

I went to settings, Arlo, notifications are already disabled...

That is weird.

Do you track more than one iOS device for geofencing purposes?  I’m curious if iOS notifications would get triggered for both a phone and an iPad for example.  I haven’t tried that.  I use my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone for geofencing location tracking, but not two of my own devices.  

I am reaching here...this seems odd.  With my screwy configurations, I would expect my notifications to be the whacky ones, but they are not.

Seb56 Aspirant
Aspirant

Only one device ; my iPad Pro has the application too, I don't know if notifications are triggered, I'll check that too.

I enabled Arlo notifications in iOS settings, I'll see this evening what's happening

AncientGeek Hero
Hero

@Seb56 wrote:

Only one device ; my iPad Pro has the application too, I don't know if notifications are triggered, I'll check that too.

I enabled Arlo notifications in iOS settings, I'll see this evening what's happening

If you enabled “Location In/Out Notifications” in iOS Settings for Arlo, you will see additional notifications when you login to the Arlo app after turning on this setting.

arcticamper Initiate
Initiate

Shane,

Is Arlo conducting user testing? Do Arlo employees use the products they're designing? If so, I don't see how this decision would have ever made it to production. Customizing notifications are a vital component of a security app. Forcing notifications each time a mode changes not only desensitizes your users (bad) but leaves us no other option than to disable notifications altogether (worse). In addition, smart notifications are one of Arlo's flagship features that many of us are paying extra for. You're either tanking brand loyalty by irritating users each time we pull in and out of our driveways, or you're losing revenue when we cancel subscription services since "enhanced notifications, activity zones, and person detection" is now useless with notifications turned off. I guarantee the cost of running a few user tests on this feature would have been WAY cheaper than reversing the effects of this half-baked, rushed-to-market 'solution'.

It's nearly 2020. Customer products that rely on ease-of-use have zero excuses for poor UX; ESPECIALLY with something as sensitive as home security.

Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station, VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera, ALS1101 | Arlo Security Light
c_lee Tutor
Tutor
Problem still persists for me on S6. Firmware/app auto update, (I checked, no new updates are offered--so auto update must be working). Not solved for me, but marked Solved in Community. What should I do now? Advice appreciated 🙂
hugggg Aspirant
Aspirant

I created a community account purely to complain about this issue. Please fix it Arlo! (and indeed: this topic is not solved!)

Note: I'm on Android (and have had to stop using geofencing due to the annoying notifications), poor product choices..

Model: VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
wldrns1 Tutor
Tutor
We need to control Notification ourselves...we can handle it
Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station