Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Cbolos
Initiate
Initiate
Hello, it seems with the release of the new Arlo app the option to hide geofence enter/exit notifications has been removed? Is this true? If so it's a very annoying omission. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Cbolos

This change is by design In the new Arlo app. Arlo Users are now informed when Geofencing has changed modes. We made this change to make sure users are aware of mode changes when using geofencing.

View solution in original post

83 REPLIES 83
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Cbolos wrote:
Hello, it seems with the release of the new Arlo app the option to hide geofence enter/exit notifications has been removed? Is this true? If so it's a very annoying omission. Thanks.

Where are you looking?  I have both apps loaded and see the In/Out setting for both.

Oh, I see... “Push Notifications” is indeed missing from the mode settings for geofencing in the new app.  It is at the bottom of the geofencing ode settings in the old app.

Arlo....what’s up with this?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Cbolos

This change is by design In the new Arlo app. Arlo Users are now informed when Geofencing has changed modes. We made this change to make sure users are aware of mode changes when using geofencing.

idbl_fanatic1
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS wrote:

Hi @Cbolos

What about notification in general, there are MANY, including myself that lost all notifications in the new build, is that by design too?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

hi @idbl_fanatic1

The Arlo development team is currently investigating reports of missing notifications within IOS & Android devices. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

idbl_fanatic1
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS wrote:

hi @idbl_fanatic1

The Arlo development team is currently investigating reports of missing notifications within IOS & Android devices. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Thank you!!

Cbolos
Initiate
Initiate

Hi @ShayneS ,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but it would be nice to have the option. I for one enter and leave my geofence quite frequently and find a notification every time very annoying.

Thanks!

jachmiel
Initiate
Initiate

I'm not sure why arlo would make it where I HAVE to recieve home/away geofencing notifications.  When I'm walking in the area of my apartment it constantly tells me "arlo is now in home mode", "alro is now in away mode" and back and forth.  Its very annoying and makes me want to turn of notifications altogether but if I do that I won't know when motion detection is set off.  I think its ridiculous for arlo to have taken away this option and request that they ability to turn that notification is restored.  Thanks. 

thefleshrocket
Initiate
Initiate

I signed up on the forum to complain about this specific issue.  It's ridiculous to have removed the option for disabling notifications about geofencing location.   The notifications are so annoying that I am now contemplating turning off geofencing and going back to switching modes manually. If you want users to "be informed", turn on the notifications by default, but don't remove the ability to turn them off.  Please, pretty please with sugar on top, give us back the option to control these notifications.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@thefleshrocket wrote:

I signed up on the forum to complain about this specific issue.  It's ridiculous to have removed the option for disabling notifications about geofencing location.   The notifications are so annoying that I am now contemplating turning off geofencing and going back to switching modes manually. If you want users to "be informed", turn on the notifications by default, but don't remove the ability to turn them off.  Please, pretty please with sugar on top, give us back the option to control these notifications.

I have been thinking about this over the past day or two and I agree.  A basic driving principle of an application like this should be to offer customization wherever possible rather than rigid company defined functionality.  It is impossible for a company to understand all of the use cases customers will have for their systems.  Whenever possible, we should be given choices.

miketothed
Tutor
Tutor
Since being moved to the new Arlo app I can no longer turn off my home/away notifications. I use geofencing but do not want to be notified every time I am home or away. In the prior app I had it turned off and it stayed off. Since the new release - it doesn’t matter if the toggle switch under settings > Arlo > location in/out notifications is on or off. I still get notified.
Vpravata
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also not receiveing push notifications after I installed the new app. I tried reinstalling and only worked for a for hours. Support please update the status of this issue
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Vpravata

Are you using IOS or Android?

jachmiel
Initiate
Initiate

Someone has accepted this as a solution and marked it solved?  Tell me, what was solved? The only answer we've received is stating the obvious, that the purpose of this feature is to notifiy us of mode changes.  Well, of course.  We get that.  Problem is, it doesn't work for your customers.  Is that not important?  I have now come to the point where I've just had to turn arlo notifications off on my phone due to notification fatigue, and now I'm also missing out on notifications if someone breaks into my apartment. I really wish Arlo would consider changing this.  If I had known I'd be forced to be notified every time a entered and exited the geofence, I would've chosen a different camera brand and, if it stays like this, I'm going to for my next camera purchase.

theporg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi All

I have a arlo pro 2 system and after switching to the new app, in and out notifications on my iPhone won’t stop.

On my iPhone under settings>arlo>geofencing in and out notifications is turned off but I still get notifications

Help
wheresmykey
Initiate
Initiate

Saw this issue on other product forums as well.

The new Arlo app made it so that I am unable to turn off the Home/Away push notification under the Geofencing mode. I also have the "Location In/Out Notifications" option off when looking at Arlo settings under my iPhone settings.

If this feature was broken with the app update, please fix. If this change to always-on was made intentionally, please fix as well. We should have the option to turn off this notification especially when we know when we're arriving or leaving home and expect that Arlo would arm or disarm accordingly.

wheresmykey
Initiate
Initiate
Not sure why I’m getting moved to another post because I don’t agree with the accepted solution. This issue needs to be fixed promptly and the ability to turn off notifications turned back on
keithc0
Guide
Guide

God I hate Arlo. Maybe if you (gasp) actually asked users what they wanted....   HA! Not a chance. 

keithc0
Guide
Guide

jachmiel, they don't care what you (or I) want. Or they would have asked. Instead they've just arbitrarily taken away this option, which I liked since mine goes in and out constantly, since it's poorly developed in the first place and doesn't work right.

TurnOffNotifica
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is ridiculous. I created this account just to say how idiotic it is to remove the option to turn off notifications when entered/levead area. I actually liked the geofencing option before. Now it's useless. I don't want a notification every time I leave or come home. I want a notification when I'm not home AND the camera detected a movement.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Dumb idea arlo...

I have two base stations, and two bridges. In the old app I could set just one of them to notify me of mode changes and the other three were turned off. That way when I leave/enter the home it only notifies me once.

With this new change in the new app, I get 4 notifications every time I enter or leave my home which is extremely annoying!

Please fix this extremely dumb idea somebody at arlo had, thanks.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
Re: Geofence Notifications
Dumb idea arlo...

I have two base stations, and two bridges. In the old app I could set just one of them to notify me of mode changes and the other three were turned off. That way when I leave/enter the home it only notifies me once.

With this new change in the new app, I get 4 notifications every time I enter or leave my home which is extremely annoying!

Please fix this extremely dumb idea somebody at arlo had, thanks.
I have an Arlo base and five Arlo Q family cameras at one home.  I’ll see how many notifications I receive tomorrow and I get home.. I know I’d get six if I had if I had “Location In/Out Notifications” set in Arlo Settings, but I keep that set to off.  If iOS notifications produce six geofencing in/out messages due to this change in geofencing settings, that would certainly indicate a lack of architectural oversight for the entire Arlo system.  I will find out tomorrow afternoon.
Aaronr6
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo. That is a stupid excuse. There isnt anyone that owns these systems that agrees with not being able to toggle off/on the geofencing notifications.
Skadrum
Initiate
Initiate
Arlo, this is ridiculous. You literally removed a function that provided a useful function and customization for the user. Who does that?? I want to be alerted when there is activity on one of my dozen cameras, NOT when I cross the geo border walking the dog. Please do some basic regression testing, and add the functionality back.
rbudge2222
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo when will you fix the bug that enables me to turn off the Geofencing notifications in the new app? I've got it switched off but still receive a notification each time my wife or I go in or out of the Geofence zone.