Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Sco73
Guide
Guide

So

I have a rule that records video for a fixed length of 90 seconds. In general most captures are 90 seconds long, within a second or 2.

However, at times the camera records less than this. Its quite random with no pattern.

#1 I have 2 slightly different scenarios, where in the library I can see the recording , and the duration says 00:12 ( should be 1:30 ) , then when I go to play the video the playback length slider shows 0:00 - 0:15 , a slight delay is then seen whilst it is buffering the stream of data, then the 0:15 changes to 1:30. Now this is weird, as when it plays, I get the video and audio in sync for 0:15 seconds, after that the video jumps, but still plays the audio as if it has carried on from the 0:15 seconds. 

I experienced it this morning when leaving my house, and as if by magic at 0:15 the video magically makes me and my car dissappear , but I can still hear my car doors shutting and the engine starting. The video is still playing something, as I can see tree's moving in the distance, but a chunk has been chopped out.

#2 The other scenario, is basically the footage should last for 90 seconds as per my custom rule, but it only records a random time less than 90 seconds, then in the library it will show for example 0:26 and this it whats  plays when you try to view it.

I had 2 instances, first thing this morning with the first #1 issue with 2 cameras, first as I left my property to get into my car, and the second camera picked us up as I drove past it. 

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My first thought is that the camera is close to the limit of the WiFi range due to walls, etc. and/or other 2.4GHz interference from another source. Bring a camera closer to the base for testing and see if the same thing happens.

Sco73
Guide
Guide

I appreciate your response, however this is easier said than done, with one of the cameras.

However, with that said , 1 camera is approximately 2 metres from the base unit as the crow flys, with only a glass window between them.

I have previously shut the 2.5G radio off my other equipment also, to see if this solved the problem.

I reboot my base unit daily via my smart home network to keep it fresh.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's why I suggested one ("a") camera - whatever is easiest to grab for testing purposes.

Even the one 2 meters away can be having an issue with interference. Check for anything that uses the 2.4GHz band (not just WiFi) that's near the base and/or cameras.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’ve had this exact issue for quite some time - maybe since I bought these in March 2019....

Unfortunately, there have been so many more far problematic issues - that I forgot to care about this one....

If there’s anyway you can return your Arlo system - do it. This is complete junk and if you spend 5 minutes on this forum you’ll see they are littered with 100 issues on every device. Run as fast as you can while you still have a chance!

All of that said - the most annoying thing is when #1 happens.... like you said it will show up as like a 10-15 second clip, then at 15 seconds the picture goes still and whatever wasn’t in the cameras view disappears - and the sound carries on as it it’s still recording.... I probably get that one 5-6 video clips per day on average.

@Jguerdat

It is definitely not WiFi signal in my case. All cameras and devices are full signal strength and plugged in AC power.... thanks for the suggestion - but once again it’s Arlo’s issue and their terribly awful firmware and customer service.

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
I too do not believe it is a Wi-Fi issue. I have not moved my cameras or anything else in my house related to my network and my recordings have stopped being two minutes long as I have them programmed to do.

I have the same issues that the OP does. They will record for 15-50 seconds and then the video freezes. But the audio will continue.

This started happening around June 7, 2019. Right around the last firmware update push
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine started around the 5/21 update when every single other thing related to the VMB 4000 base stations got messed up by Arlo and their completely incompetent firmware developers.

They will roll out a non-optional firmware update to fix one stupid thing no one cares about - and in doing so 20 other new problems are created. These programmers couldn’t find their own rears with both hands - if they were trying!

Fire them all and start fresh, Arlo - before you lose your customer base and end up biting the bullet....
Dannybear
Master
Master
I have been experimenting with this issue for some time now and can duplicate it by placing my hand over the front of the camera. Not ideal for security but I guess they should be mounted out of reach anyway.
I have also been able to duplicate it using impulse noise, if I walk past the camera mounted inside the house with a motorised edge cutter it does the same.
Hope this helps.
Sco73
Guide
Guide

Interesting find. I will test mine later. 

As far as WiFi is concerned, i'm pretty sure its not the issue.

My cameras are not far from the base unit, have a full signal acording to the IOS app, and 1 camera is approx 2 metres from the unit, with only a glass window between them.

I have switched off any other 2.5G radio in our house, cordless phones, wifi, etc. So nothing locally should be interferring with the cameras.

Would be good to have access, (ssh) to the base unit to look at some logs and see if there are any clues to what is occuring, however I know this is never going to happen and that Arlo should really get this fixed.

Interestingly, this morning I walked past my rear cam, and it recorded 1:30 and then I drove past my front cam and it never even triggered. It takes me approx 10 seconds to slowly drive and turn.

I am a newcomer to these camera's and the experience is poor. Has anyone, prior to the recent updates had better luck, or have these and other underlying issues always been aparent ?

Dannybear
Master
Master
If you check the USB backup recordings you will find that the video is full duration with no perceived error in the stream.
This could mean that the communication between camera and base is fine and the stream media engine at arlo end is the cause of the issue like the unable to complete recordings every one is getting.
Consider that if communication is momentarily interrupted between camera and base then buffering in the camera can be used so when communication is re-established it can complete the recording on the USB but the cloud misses the boat so to speak. Just my thoughts.
crocker
Guide
Guide

I also have the fixed length recording not recording the correct length of time issue. My camera's are set to record for 60 seconds. Sometimes the recordings are only 8-10 seconds long!  Unfortunately, in my case, if the recording is short in the library, it is also short on the USB...

Dannybear
Master
Master
It seems I have been posting to the wrong thread so disregard, the comments were related to recordings that have video disappear but audio continues. My senior moment I guess.
crocker
Guide
Guide
Bozzz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have four 4 Arlo Pro II Cameras, Which I paid $1300.00 AUD, a year ago, from Harvey Norman. I have had nothing but trouble getting them to work, and have tried everything under the sun.. Still they are timming out, missing video, not syncing audio with video, short recordings when timers are properly set, not triggering motion, lagging video, timing out on CVR....etc...etc...etc. the list goes on..And Arlo calls this a security camera,,,,what a JOKE,,,,This system is a piece of JUNK,,,and certainly not worth of this kind of $$$Coin spent here on a home security system, nor trust worthy in the event of a serious intrusion or robbery. I want my money back!!! Absolute JUNK.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Bozzz

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding these issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation