Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

False detection movement. Motion detection sensitivity is 50%.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Gordone
Tutor
Tutor

I have only movement detection on and get alot false detections....

When these was detected was it set to 50%.

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/37D97A5FEF4513F7_202005

Is it so «stupid» that the snow is colder then the wood ?

When the sun is coming offcourse the trmperature on the wood will increase....

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not heat that triggers recordings - it's IR. While related, it's not the same. In your case, I'll wager that it's the sun's IR being reflected off the snow given the current angle of the sunlight. To be clear, you're reducing motion sensitivity in your modes and rules, right? You may need to reduce more but test to find a point where you still get the recordings you need while minimizing false triggers.

Many of us use modes with reduced sensitivity settings just for this reason and then use the schedule to switch between this and modes with higher sensitivity.

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Somebody else having issue with combination of snow and not snow on surface heating up by the sun?

Detection at 50%
https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/E7D3E6F1715BD8C2_202005
Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, but I have found I can only adjust the sensitivity in %, correct?

I have analyze the false triggers and it happens approx at the same hours each day, but the problem is that the sun change rise during the year, need to update the schedule each month then?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The percentage doesn't really seem to relate to anything we can see or use. Basically, it's a number that we use to increase or decrease according to the need. 0% still detects, just not as much as 100%. It just takes some trial and error to minimize flase triggers while still getting the detection you need.

As a result, you can likely use the same setting year-round since you have determined that you still get the recordings needed. SInce it happens at roughly the same time each day, a somewhat more complex schedule could be used with maybe 3 modes - lowest sensitivity, normal sensitivity and nighttime/maximum sensitivity. Exactly how to set this up is up to you to determine.

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you 🙂
Tuning over time I see, maybe issue is not present when the snow have disapear. Will try to play with the % to learn where its fine, and then make a rule based on that!

Do you have example of yours rules/schedule?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To save on the number of screenshots I'd need to post, here's one of my schedule. The main difference is that the Day mode has motion detection settings for a few cameras of 60 while Windy/sun has settings of 35. The Night mode has settings of 70.

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you! 🙂
Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
I have tested further, 10% sensivity have not helped, trying 5% now.....

I don’t like these....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't imagine needing to set the sensitivity so low. You are doing this in your modes and rules, right?

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Device settings => Device utilities => Motion Detection Test
In these setting in the bottom can I adjust the % with a slider.

Is these not active/effected the ?
It’s remember last setting.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Gordone,

Whenever you're using the Motion Detection Test, it does not change the motion settings from your modes/rules. You can read here to learn how to change the motion sensitivity: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor

I have installed the cameras to power and snow have disapear, do you know what, know false detection today... and then sensitivity is at 100%....

Can it only been the snow? Will powered help ?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation