Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

False Detection Outdoors No Matter Sensitivity Setting Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
SmokinCache
Follower
Follower

I have 4 Pro 2 cameras. The motion detection on two of these cameras appears to false anytime there is any sun in the scene. I have repointed in an attempt to remove any direct sun in the background. This did not help and niether camera now performs the function it was purchased for yet still gives false alerts if set at 1% or 100%. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same problem.  I also have a problem where it doesn't detect sounds when somebody is breaking in.  It happened a few times.  One video I captured showed somebody breaking into my apartment, but it didn't come on until after they knocked a window out of my side door on the second floor.  The intruder would have to walk up several sets of stairs to get to that door and unless they were barefooted why didn't the camera activate that somebody was outside that door?  Other times before that when I suspect the same intruder was breaking in, it did activate and even my cats were staring at that door because they heard something.

From my experience, Arlo cameras are unreliable.  However there probably isn't much that can be done for those times when the intruder keeps shutting off your power.  I had that happen many times.  I ended up breaking my lease and moving out because it was a hopeless situation.

I tried uploading a video clip, but I don't know if it uploaded or not.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure you're changing sensitivity in your modes and rules. The Motion Detection Test is just that - a test. The number gets plugged into your rules. Be sure to save.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

It was set as high as it would go for both cameras.  One camera became disabled and was in the bedroom while the one closest to the door was active and still didn't catch the action prior to the window being knocked out.  There were a lot of strange things going on during that period from April thru the end of July of this year (2018) so I don't know what the intruders were doing while I was away to cause cameras to go inactive.  I do know they were turning my power off repeatedly because they knew I had cameras.

It got so bad I was forced to move out before my lease was up and the landlord refused to change my locks.  When I did it myself he tried to break in through that door.  That's when I caught it on video, but don't understand why the camera didn't pick up the noise that would be made walking up those stairs that time when on July 4 it picked up sounds outside that door that were not fireworks.  Unfortunately I wasn't home, but my cats were seen in the video acting peculiar at that door as if they were hearing something.  I just don't understand why the camera didn't pick it up o July 30 when the landlord tried breaking in.  If this board would let me upload the video you would see the video begins with the window flying through the air and not before.

Nobody believed me because the entire situation was like something out of a spy movie, but I tried to tell them just because it never happened to them doesn't mean these things don't happen.  I have had break ins before but nothing as bad as this.  Unfortunately Arlo failed me when the cameras kept cutting off for no reason when hours before I checked and they were working.  Either intruder intervention or camera failure.

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice
Plug the cameras into power. You get more features.

When plugged in the video records 2 seconds before motion is detected. And you can set a range you want it to ignore
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I never saw that option plugged in or not.  Also at that location where I was living there were limited outlets and some couldn't even be used for that type of plug because the outlet wasn't flush with the wall so the plug would fall out.  Much later when I purchased the APC power backup I also purchased extension plugs which would have cured that.  With the disadvantage of the power constantly being shut off by the intruders, I missed many opportunities to find out what these horrible people were actually doing which is why I never purchased the APC initially.  I had one already, but it wasn't holding its charge.  Even if the cameras were plugged in it probably wouldn't have helped since they were shutting down my power frequently EVEN when I was home.  They must have thought I wasn't home.  Ooops!

The camera I had set up near that door was hidden and even if I could plug it in why would I want it to be obvious?  The problem was since I didn't know these people were using the side door there was not a clear shot of their faces.  I was concentrating on the main door which was a distance away from the intruders and I would have captured their faces.  The reason why I thought they were using the main door was because the neighbor downstairs was using the tenant's door across from mine to access her own apartment down below.  She became Suspect #1 when I saw this several times and the fact she was harassing me.

I tried attaching an image since the videos won't upload and it failed.  Why do they bother putting a link to add photos if it doesn't work?  Anyway, it was to show the door on the left that leads outside and on the right is the main door to the hallway.  The door on the left has a latch I put in myself to keep people from using keys to get in which became more obvious later.  The door on the right had a cheap lock and the one I suspect was being used more especially since one of my power boxes was just outside that door.

I changed the main door lock myself because the landlord "had to investigate the situation first" before changing the locks.  Now I know why.  He was also breaking in illegally or allowing his son to.  It made more sense later.  I threw him out of my apartment which could have been what triggered the July 4th and 5th intrusions by what I believe to be his son.  Speculation but it makes more sense now than it did then because there was a kid with the landlord in the video when he tried breaking in and he appeared to not want to be there.  Daddy blocked him from entering which was also suspicious otherwise why did the kid arrive with him.  If I hadn't been there the kid would have entered.  This was all show for me to see.  Me screaming at the landlord is on the videos which this forum is preventing you from seeing.  I may post it elsewhere for the world to see.

About the power box outside my main door.  This allowed to selectively turn off power in specific rooms as I had carefully listed myself on the inside of the box door for myself not for intruders.  They used that against me and because Miss Self-Appointed Landlord herself blocked my access to the box in the basement she was the only one who could access it.  The box in the basement was the main circuit breaker for my apartment and also had two switches for my washer/dryer in the basement.  I suspected she broke my first two washers and one dryer.  By the time I left they were both broken.  Locking the lids didn't help since the machines could still be turned on and left running for days.  This was a no-win situation and no support from anybody.  Even video proof was worthless.  Now I use the cameras for seeing what my cats are up to.  It's more interesting and a lot less stressful than dealing with people.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation