Double notifications on all cameras Arlo iOS version 4.19

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all. Starting a few days ago, with the most recent update to the Arlo app, I am now receiving double notifications on all Moen detect cameras on my system. This has not been an issue before. I’ve been sure that all hardware is up to speed, in terms of firmware updates, and no new app updates available. Anybody have any ideas? 

22 REPLIES 22
BFamily3
Aspirant
Aspirant

following, hopefully a quick fix

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @drdas 

Is it possible to provide a screen shot of the duplicate notifications?

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m not sure how I could provide such a screenshot. I get an audio notification with a banner. Then I get a second one about 5 seconds later. 

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok. Here’s a screenshot after both notifications hit. Hopefully you can see it; it looks blank on my webpage but I’ve tried posting it five times.

image.jpg

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@drdas Perfect thank you, I'm going to send another PM with another request if you don't mind. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drdas wrote:

I get an audio notification with a banner. Then I get a second one about 5 seconds later. 

Is your camera set to record until motion stops?

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don’t see that setting on the app. How would I know?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drdas wrote:

I don’t see that setting on the app. How would I know?

Look in the rules for the mode you are using.

If you see "Library" in your app menu, then look in the rules in the mode(s) are you using:

If you instead see "Feed" and "Dashboard", then

1. go to the devices page
  2. select a camera
  3. select the settings wheel
  4. look in the default mode section

The reason I am asking about this setting is that we've seen the double-notification issue in the past.  Generally it has been with cameras that are using this setting.  Changing the recording to fixed length has generally worked around the problem.

Are you just getting double-notifications?  Or are you seeing two identical recordings in the Feed/Library?

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just one recording but two notifications.

im using the standard armed setting. I have not edited it. In fact, I don’t even see a pencil next to that mode where I could make edits.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drdas wrote:

Just one recording but two notifications.

im using the standard armed setting. I have not edited it. In fact, I don’t even see a pencil next to that mode where I could make edits.

Do you see "Library" in your app menu?

Or do you see "Feed" instead?

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Library

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drdas wrote:

Library

It's been a while since I used it.  But you should be able to edit the Armed mode from the Mode page in the app. 

Are you using the primary account?  Or are you perhaps using a "friend" account?

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

was able to log into the master account and will try making that change. Not sure that it’s the best for security but let’s see if it works. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @drdas 

How are the results from your testing?

Thanks 

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mostly better, though I still occasionally get double notifications for one or two of our four cameras. The issue of course is that now the recordings are fixed length and sometimes don’t go long enough or are too long for our needs. I guess this is an OK trade off?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drdas wrote:

I guess this is an OK trade off?

Up to you.

I think the issue is in some cases linked to the smart notifications.  There is lag in the classification (partly due to the time it takes the cloud to classify, and partly because the object being classified might not be in the field of view at the beginning of the recording).  If Arlo delays the smart notification too long, then people complain about the lag.  So it does make some sense for them to send a second notification that is updated with the classification.

So another experiment you could do is disable smart notifications, and see if that makes any difference.

CrimsonLynx
Tutor
Tutor

Experiencing the same results now since last update on events on all Pro 4 cameras and when Mode changes occur. 

drdas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Disabling the smart notifications did not affect the behavior. Still getting double alerts about half the time, from all cameras. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating reports of this behavior. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Anthonyqt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank goodness this is a known issue and being looked at. It’s been bothering me for the past couple of weeks like everyone else. Thanks Arlo!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Anthonyqt 

I will be sure to update the thread with any new info during this process. 

bujaam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve had this setup for years with multiple Arlo Pro 2 cameras. I have a mode where I get a push notification when the cameras detect motion. About a month ago I began getting two push notifications for each motion detected. Nothing has changed. It’s annoying. Any thoughts?

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation