Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Deer not caught by Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
richieboo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I love and am disappointed by my Arlo Pro 2 system. I have eight cameras all ac-wired plugged in so I could set activity zones. I hired an electrician to install outlets at each corner of the house for these cameras.

From others' complaints I have read, they seem to be working by design. The motion sensitivity is pretty disappointing. They are great for 10 feet, but I bought them to pick up anything in the line of sight. While they are security cameras, I was hoping that they would also alert me of deer on my property. Unlike most that I have read, I *welcome* the deer on my property and wish the cameras would alert me when they are actively walking around the property so I can go to a window and watch them feed on food I lay out for them. 

This is a snapshot of my devices screen, not recordings. I watched this deer walk around the yard for 20 minutes last night and Not Once did my cameras pick them up. I get it, deer walk slow. But they also snap their head up each time they get startled and she did that many times. I also understand that they do blend in, but I have the hard lighted and the deer have white areas of the body and face. 

I hope that Arlo will someday be able to improve on this for the Arlo Pro 2. I spent a lot of money on this system and hope a fix will apply to what I have bought and not only future hardware versions.

2019-11-02_11-30-01 deer not picked up by arlo.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@richieboo wrote:

While they are security cameras, I was hoping that they would also alert me of deer on my property. Unlike most that I have read, I *welcome* the deer on my property and wish the cameras would alert me when they are actively walking around the property so I can go to a window and watch them feed on food I lay out for them. 

Unfortunately, my cameras capture far too much deer activity.

So there may be something amiss at your end.

Do you have rules set to alert you to these creatures?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary
Our arlo pro cameras work for this. The cameras won’t work through glass and if the cameras are outside the cameras only pick up motion from animals or people in distance @ 20 -25 feet away from the camera. Also maybe adjust the sensitivity to a higher sensitivity above 80 percent.
richieboo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have any rules setup. I don't think that would matter because my cameras are not recording them either. Correct me if I am wrong, rules do not affect the motion detection sensitivity.. correct? I have sensitivity set to 100 on all backyard cameras.

richieboo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cameras are outside and the deer that was in the photo of my original post was probably 50 feet out from the camera. I just did the motion detection test and it did detect me moving at 25' so guess it is working fine. Seems I expected more. 

Hopefully in the future, improved extended range outdoor weather-resistant cameras will be released and will work with my existing system.

arlo pro cameras outside mounted.jpg

Tomasu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just learned the same thing, the hard way. After struggling with getting motion sensing working ideally for hours today, I looked up the specs on the website. 23 feet max. the PIR motion sensor can't see motion any further than 23 feet under ideal conditions.

I looked at the Pro 3 specs and it doesn't seem to have a spec for motion sensing limits. So perhaps its using something other than a PIR sensor.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@richieboo wrote:

I do not have any rules setup. I don't think that would matter because my cameras are not recording them either.

With no rules, the cameras will not record, unless you have a subscription that does CVR and 24-hour recording. Even then, with no rules to trigger them, you will get no alerts. They aren't called "triggers" for nothing.

@richieboo wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, rules do not affect the motion detection sensitivity.. correct? I have sensitivity set to 100 on all backyard cameras.

Rules do, indeed, have a sensitivity setting. But that is not related to range. It does what it says, sets the sensitivity. It won't detect, and react to, the occasional butterfly but will leap into action if a moose wanders by.

You might like to read up on these things before you succumb to disappointment.

What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
richieboo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your detailed reply. I do have rules setup, but with basic settings. This is where I need to play more. Last I visited I needed to turn off audio because it was way too sensitive. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation