Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
alrock
Guide
Guide

I have 5 cameras and a new base station. Everyday, we will know that motion is occurring and check for a recording. Often nothing was recorded. We pay extra for the Arlo Smart Premier and the CVR Plan. We don't even see the recording in the CVR. I also have a USB disk attached so I can see if some recordings will show up there but not the cloud. Randomly they do but often they are not there either. I can we count on this for security? I am about to look for another solution.

5 REPLIES 5
alrock
Guide
Guide

Every week will see that some cameras stop recording anything. The only way to get them to start working again is to restart the base station. I had purchased a new base station thinking the old one was bad. But I am running into the same problem.

I have the VMB4540r2 with the latest firmware.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

How far are the cameras from the base?

What is the signal strength?

Do you have any issues when you live stream?

alrock
Guide
Guide

Distances vary. They are as close as 12ft and as far as 40ft. No signal strength issues. Live Streaming is also a random issue that goes away with a base station restart. There are times everything works exactly as expected. Then some cameras just stop recording anything for 8+hours. I then restart the base station and everything works again. We have had issues with Arlo recording to the cloud for >1yr now as well. There is obviously some kind of network issue with the Arlo cloud. This is an Arlo issue that won't be resolved on a message board. And cannot be resolved via Arlo support.  Arlo needs to do deep technical analysis of this. So many people have he exact same problems. 100s of posts over the year. I would like to hear from someone who has had no problems with their Arlo cameras.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alrock wrote:

Distances vary. They are as close as 12ft and as far as 40ft. No signal strength issues. Live Streaming is also a random issue that goes away with a base station restart. There are times everything works exactly as expected. Then some cameras just stop recording anything for 8+hours. I then restart the base station and everything works again. 

FWIW, I've rarely needed to restart my smarthubs.

If you don't have a usb stick installed in the 4540, you might want to add one and enable direct access to local storage.  That would give you some ability to see if the missed recordings are being received by the base or not.

@alrock wrote:

There is obviously some kind of network issue with the Arlo cloud. 

Though there are other possible causes, I agree there is more work that needs to be done on Arlo's side.  There are a lot of recurring issues that really should be cleaned up once and for all.   

alrock
Guide
Guide

Yes. I have a USB stick too. Still doesn't record everything but do get more than the cloud.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation