Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting Arlo cameras to mesh network?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Newbcakes
Tutor
Tutor
Hello, I have purchased and installed an Arlo Pro 2 system. I like it... But here's my issue: the cameras only connect to the Arlo basestation, rather than utilize the extensive mesh (Orbi) network I have covering my house. This means the cameras that I have positioned near an Orbi satellite have poor signal to the Arlo basestation, whereas if they utilize the Wi-Fi offered through the mesh, it would be much better! It also severely limits the amount of coverage my Arlo system can provide.

Is this an incorrect assessment?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@Newbcakes

Since Arlo has separated from Netgear, I doubt if that will happen. The only good solution at this time is to add more base stations and split the cameras between them.

Brian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Newbcakes
Tutor
Tutor

I think I've realized my own answer... they want me to connect multiple base stations to my Orbi satellites (thereby extending coverage)?

brh
Master
Master

@Newbcakes

That is correct. I have th Orbi router with 2 satellites and a base station connected to each. The router is in the middle of my house where the internet cable comes in and each satellite is positioned at either end of my house. Very strong signals everywhere.

Brian

Newbcakes
Tutor
Tutor

Like you I have multiple Orbi satellites.  Each satellite has ethernet ports and connects to the Orbi router through either a hardwired or wireless backplane.  The Arlo broadcasts its own wifi, but is connected to only 1 node in the Orbi solution.  I have the Arlo base station physically connected to my router, which means any camera that may be within range of my satellites, isn't necessarily in range of my router (and therefore Arlo basestation).  I'd really like for Netgear to allow the Arlo cameras to tunnel or something over the wifi provided by the Orbi solution -- it would greatly extend the range of the cameras placed on the periphery of my house (and well covered by the Orbi mesh, but not the Arlo wifi).

It looks like my only solution is to essentially create another mesh while using Arlo basestations... is that the case?

brh
Master
Master

@Newbcakes

Since Arlo has separated from Netgear, I doubt if that will happen. The only good solution at this time is to add more base stations and split the cameras between them.

Brian

Newbcakes
Tutor
Tutor

That's what I figured, and didn't know Arlo was no longer with Netgear.  Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation